Bloody LandRovers

That's an old Series 111 Landy, 30 years old perhaps, so how old was the Toymota?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

it's the driver.... in 1999 i wnt to a dutch meeting, in front of me was a rangerover with front and rear steer, 4.4 V8 engine and big nobby tyre's. i drove a standart 4cyl diesel 109 serie's 2 (my firsty landy, and stil got her) the range got stuck, i drove trough it. so it is not the equipment, it's all about tyre's and drivers. greets, the wacky dutch man

Reply to
LR88lw_proto

Diesel's make life eassier, even in Holland. Groet, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

erik-jan, the performance of a petrol and a diesel was in advantage of the V8, if someone can't drive off-road, your doing nothing with the best vehicle. i am working in my spare time in a land-rover garage in north holland, i have build with a few others a bobtailed 109 s3 diesel, std engine and box (brit army recon) he drove it in belgium, broke the left front leaf spring, and the right rear one, trashed the rearaxle, it came right off, with ropes and bubblegum the repairs where done, he stil drove that weekend, and stil did the stuff the jap's could not do. if someone take the 101fc ambulance,

3.5 V8 low compression, bargrip tyre's... it's big, top heavy and i stil drive it off-the road, like the billing quarry course, with better result than other land-rovers. knowing your vehicle is a big plus, diesel is better in water, petrol is better on the road. if you can't drive, a suzuki is the best option for you. greets, Arjan
Reply to
LR88lw_proto

Billing is not an off-road course - more something for for toy Land Rover or first time not on road driver to go and play with I think!

You can make your 101 do this:

10MB - is better with broadband! :-)
Reply to
Mother

On or around 15 Jan 2006 12:36:06 -0800, "LR88lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" enlightened us thusly:

mind, I wouldn't knock the little suzukis, especially the early ones. Very light, compared to a landy, which gives 'em an advantage on soft ground.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can't any 101 do this? Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Yeah, also very true. Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

....unless they bog themselves in above the bumpers, and a 101 tries to drag them out...Bwahhhhhahahahahaha.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around 15 Jan 2006 19:16:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com enlightened us thusly:

'tis a fact that the older landcruisers at least have a reputation for being as tough as old boots, much like the landy. Not sure about the new luxo-barge version.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

after reading that site (still lots left yet!) i'm of the opinion that the motor in question is definately a 'proper' vehicle. Theyve been driving it round the world since it was 2 years old and its still going.

Reply to
Tom Woods

With a Detroit locker in the back and an air locker in the front - probably.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:47:14 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

And that "road" in Zaire beggars belief. All the vehicles at different angles. Incredible that anyone gets anywhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

.. or judicious use of the brake pedal, I've gone where no man has gone before on occasion by using the brake pedal to reduce the resistance differential between the wheels to keep them all turning. The "poor man's difflock" as I call it. Just keep the engine revs up and jump up and down on the brake pedal, normally even a cross-axled truck will start moving when you do that. There are limits of course!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings