Defender 90 - drip, drip, drip torture... Guidance please!

Hi, came back from darkest west Wales last night along the M4. By the time I got to Letterston it was raining heavily, by Haverfordwest it was pissing down and it didn't let up all the way back to Cardiff. Not happy driving conditions.

My happiness was further decreased by a steady drip of water on my right (accelarator) foot. This became a rapid and heavy stream, such that I could feel the net movement of water through my shoe and sock and back out onto the floor at my heel... It seems slightly worse when going up hill. Having got back home I had a completely saturated right foot and the water had soaked a long way up my trouser leg.

Of course this morning in daylight it is dry and not raining. Any idea where I should start looking on this one? Are there any drain holes that I should look for that might be blocked by leaves? A seal that would leak to give this result? I have had a cursory look before but everything looks fairly normal under the bonnet around the brake servo area.

Any clues appreciated, thanks.

M.

(PS, anyone got a size 10 right welly that don't need..? ;o) )

Reply to
McBad

Is the bulkhead in goog condition? I used to get this through a hole in the bulkhead. I put tape over it & it stopped!!! Is the vent seal intact? Is it coming from the roof & running down the inside of the screen frame? Is the winscreen seal ok?

You get my drift, it could be a few things!

Reply to
Nige

Go to a jet wash with a mate (gullible one for preference) and watch inside the vehicle while spraying it. There's that many possible entry points it's likely to be the quickest way of finding it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

First of all check the seals around the ventilation flaps, then I'd whip the instrument panel off to get a view of what's behind then get the hosepipe out!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| (PS, anyone got a size 10 right welly that don't need..? ;o) )

You should have called in! I have several pairs of size 10s you could have had - and a cup of tea.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Mine does that.

On mine it's the seal around the accelerator pedal linkage thingie.

I had another one fitted under warranty and it still leaked

I tried later under the extended warranty, and discovered that the Land Rover extended warranty specifically excludes water ingress.

So I've lived with it for the last ten years...

It's not exactly a terribly intrusive problem and I don't wear plimmies when it rains anyway...

Reply to
William Black

Thanks for the offer Richard, maybe one day.. I have actually now found my old wellies and have knocked the spiders out of them as I'm about to go and play with the hose pipe. :o( Fridays I usually finish at 't mill about five then make a bee line for home, perhaps stopping at Vincent Davies for some of that very expensive Pembrokeshire diesel.

Hope you are still reversing with confidence!

kind regards,

McBad

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote || in message ||| ||| You should have called in! I have several pairs of size 10s you ||| could have had - and a cup of tea. ||| ||| -- ||| Rich ||| ============================== ||| || || Thanks for the offer Richard, maybe one day.. I have actually now || found my old wellies and have knocked the spiders out of them as I'm || about to go and play with the hose pipe. :o( Fridays I usually || finish at 't mill about five then make a bee line for home, perhaps || stopping at Vincent Davies for some of that very expensive || Pembrokeshire diesel.

Keep straight on at the next rbt, go down to the next rbt and get it from Morrison's - usually at least 2p/l cheaper.

Certainly am! And you?

Reply to
Richard Brookman