Disco snatching

Hi,

Recently I've noticed my 300tdi disco snatching a bit when reaching and exceeding about 3000rpm. It almost feels like like the engine is cutting out and suddenly coming back again.

It's most noticeable in 3rd gear and when accelerating quickly onto a dual carriageway or such. Not sure what it causing this as the engine has no problems idling or in the lower gears. My only guess would be something like a blocked fuel injector?

On a different note, I'm vaguely looking at changing for a 99ish TD5 disco - according to land rover the td5 is supposed to do 3 - 4mpg better than the

300tdi although from actual owners I've heard theyre slightly worse. Can anyone confirm this?
Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

|| Hi, || || Recently I've noticed my 300tdi disco snatching a bit when reaching

From the subject line, I thought this was going to be about end-of-term office parties.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On a different note, I'm vaguely looking at changing for a 99ish TD5 || disco - according to land rover the td5 is supposed to do 3 - 4mpg || better than the 300tdi although from actual owners I've heard theyre || slightly worse. Can anyone confirm this?

Mine did between 24 and 28, and between 19 and 24 towing. I think that will be a bit worse than your Tdi. That's a manual - autos are worse. These figures seem to match what I have heard from others. Some people do report better figures, though, so it may be a case of getting lucky with the choice of vehicle.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My Td5 manual averaged 28.1 MPG over 92K miles. The best figure I ever got was 32.9 but that was touring in France and the worst was 25.1.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

The Td5 was designed with the governments "old" method of calculating mpg in mind, coupled with EU directives. This gave rather better figures than the 300Tdi. The goverment then moved the goal posts with regard to how the urban cycle etc should be calculated (due to pressure from an EU manfacturer I was told at the time) and now the 300Tdi comes out rather better, certainly in the real world it is generally aknowledged the the 300Tdi has better economy (and is a better engine all round for LR's purposes, in my opinion) than the Td5. Yet another example of the green lobby being so far behind the times on technology that legislation often makes things worse!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd