Brake Pistons...

I've recently rebuilt all four calipers on my '87 RR Classic.

I used std. plated pistons. - After all, the originals lasted for 180k+ miles! I see no need for stainless caliper pistons, unless you like spending money!

Fitting the seal retainers can be a bit fiddly, but not difficult.

Regards,

Horse.

Reply to
horse

Hi All,

Just had a 5 minute job take - well it felt like forever...

..my brake pistons are pretty much shot - I actually bent and fractured a G-clamp trying to squeeze the piston back in. The big question is do I buy re-furb calipers or should I have a go at replacing the pistons and seals with the stainless piston kits I keep seeing advertised?

Has anyone put the stainless pistons in? Was it a nightmare? If it took days to do through grief I would rather save my time and spend some money on complete calipers.

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Reply to
mark hh

On or around Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:08:38 +0000 (UTC), "mark hh" enlightened us thusly:

Provided you're willing and able to get the caliper off the vehicle and clean it properly, I don't see why this would be a problem. A piston that stiff is no bloody good anyway. The back brakes on my disco are seriously naff, and are gonna need new pistons and dust seals soon, I reckon. Check out whether the SS pistons come with new main seals (and dust seals), if not you need these.

The only thing I wonder about is the fact that the originals are probably hard chrome, whereas the SS maybe softer, depending on what spec SS it is. I did once contemplate making me own pistons, having found out how much the ones for the sherpa minibus I then had cost.

Recon calipers will I assume have standard pistons in, which will eventually rust and get jammed etc. in the normal manner.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

New pistons aren't too hard to fit. I've used stainless ones in various vehicles with differing amounts of success - the stainless quality seems to vary and some of them pit fairly quickly. If OE pistons are sensibly priced it's worth just using them - they still last a good few years especially if you strip, clean and put new seals in the calipers every couple of years.

The easiest way to get the stuck pistons out is to remove the caliper (leaving the hose attached) and pump the brakes until the piston pops out.

Reply to
EMB

I know if i buy reckon, they'll fail in the smae way but that might be a few years down the line...

..the kits I've seen come with all seals - just wondered if anyone had actually done it?

The bottom line is "low on budget" so I'll have to weigh pros and cons of both.

Cheers

Mark HH

Reply to
mark hh

I was wondeing...

..a good push should shift 'em, I'll have to do all 4 at once though.

Cheers

Mark HH

Reply to
mark hh

to be honest I've never had any trouble getting the pistons themselves in. The seal retainers on the other hand are quite another matter.

What seems to be th trouble? do they go in a bit/a lot then stop dead? Or won't enter the bore at all? Or go in but get increasingly stiff?

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds