Brake upgrade

My 1988 90 Hardtop 2.5 petrol needs new discs and pads. Should I just put on the cheapest replacements or can anyone recommend an upgrade?

ta, David

Reply to
dacawa

yes just get the cheaper discs and pads , youll not really note any difference if you buy expensive ones , not for normal driving , racing perhaps but not normal driving .

these people are cheaper than paddocks and you can source parts from a list which relates to youre vehicle only .

there were 2 types of pads and calipers fitted to landys from mid to late 80s , the early type is the old range rover classic type with the flat spring clips and split pins holding pads in .

later types have pads with elongated slots in and use long pins with small split pins in end to retain them .

you probably have the later type of 90 pads STC-9191 .

FRC7329 is the disc to get ,but all landy 90s have this disc unless they have vented discs which i doubt you have .

paddocks are cheaper for front discs at 6 quid each but they are more expensive than LRPARTS SHOP for pads by 3 quid a set .

RTC-5001 is the retaining pin and clip kit for the pads .2.22 pounds each side from larparts shop

Reply to
m0bcg

On or around Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:20:31 -0000, "dacawa" enlightened us thusly:

what do you use it for?

FWIW, IMHO an' all that: Lockheed or other "known brand" discs are not much more (Paddock's prices are 6 quid for elcheapo or 14 quid for lockheed), and EBC pads are about 25 quid a set as compared to about 15 quid or something for lockheed.

My instinct would be to go for the known brands, and the EBC green pads get good press.

depends partly what you use it for, as well.

Braided hoses are a good upgrade, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seonded - if you only use your vehicle occasionaly then Britpart/Allmakes/Bearmach branded discs are fine, if it's your everyday vehicle then I'd suggest Delphi (Nee Lockheed) would give the best cost/benefit. EBC probably have some benefits for those who go off-road a lot or do a lot of motorway driving.

As for pads, Delphi (Nee Lockheed) or Ferrodo I would suggest are first choice for normal use, with Mintex a very close second. Avoid any pads in white boxes - I no longer sell them which you can read into what you like! EBC do have benefits for comp safri type off-roading and again for lots of motroway driving or if you carry heavy loads in a hilly area, but are probably a bit over the top for "average" users.

Search for the web for : FRC7329 Front Disc - All Defender/All Discovery I/ Range Rover Classic from 1986 keeping an eye out for any "AP"'s or "S"'s etc on the end of the part number indicating branding. FTC902 for vented versions.

STC9186 Front Pads - Range Rover Classic to 85/Early Defender 90 STC9191 Front Pads - Solid Discs - 90 from End of Early Type Pads to HA701009/Range Rover Classic/Discovery I 1993 on STC2952 Front Pads 110/90 From HA701019 (No Pins) - Includes Td5

Pads & discs change points are (on earlier vehicles anyway) marked on axle numbers, and the changes are not at the same time for different flavours of axles on 90's so if you have any doubt ask!

Prices vary quite a lot, but check for branding before making a comparison!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:20:05 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

don't suppose you know if the late-type solid discs and the vented discs use the same or interchangeable pads?

although more or less decided that vented ain't really needed for the use the vehicle is put to. I've never had problems with solid-disc discos, other than the calipers being seized or other things like that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The padsare the same as solid discs - it's the caliper type that decides which ones to use.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:24:43 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

they have a different part number, which is what put me off - without either picture or knowledge, no way of knowing. Vented discs are a possibility, but there are a set green EBC pads in the drawer here, which I'd be looking at fitting, at some point. So a set of calipers they don't fit would be a bit of a backward move.

Reply to
Austin Shackles