Chains hanging under lorries

One of you lot is bound to know....

Often on lorries (not articulated I dont think) there are small chains that hang down in the middle, underneath. Sometimes they hang a bit like bead curtains and others seem to be just a bunch of small chains, Usually no longer than a foot (30 cms). What? Why? etc. (and do I need them on a Defender!)

Thanks

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

sometime attached to the air tank drain valves

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

think about it!

Nomad

Reply to
Nomad

Also, some chains are hung from vehicles as a way of disipating static electricity. On cars, you'll usually see then hung from on or near the back bumper. The chain's just long enough to touch the ground and earth the static, when the car's stopped, but isn't long enough to drag when the car's moving.

Regards,

Colin

Reply to
Colin "Jay" Jackson

Oh yes! I don't think that putting them on a defender is a good idea unless you have better than a 4 litre lump powering it Nomad.

Reply to
Nomad

Indeed they are used to reduce the effects of travel sickness or so I'm told.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Actually, they're automatic snow chains! They hang down in a bunch when not being used, they're on a powered rotor which spins them up and the chains go under the drive wheels. Usually seen on foreign trucks, especially ones which go to the snowy countries. Just think of the logistics of trying to fit chains to 11R22.5 twin tyres, and you'll see why they're such a good idea. Now I wonder if I could get a set for the works Defender?????......

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Turier

I have two large chains hanging down from the back of my 109", but it does have a Harvey Frost recovery hook on the back.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex