Rule of Tim - dangly bits on lorries

So, what's with the dangly bits of plastic chain link fence that lorry drivers hang off their front corner steps? I can't see that they would help with positioning in any way. All they seem to do is flap in the breeze. Anybody know?

David.

Reply to
David French

I think they are an earthing point for the drivers brain as most of the drivers I know who have them are definitely not batting with a full side

here's another one CD's in the windscreen to fool speed cameras I mean it's 14 foot high 8 foot wide and a camera is going to be fooled by two 6inch bits of reflective plastic

And another just how many spot light do you need to drive through the middle of Birmingham at night just what is the point

Sorry for rant but you did get me started

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:23:11 +0100, "David French" spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

cos they ran over a fence and didn't notice???

I'm not sure, I'll ask my mate, his a lorry driver.

-- Dan Allen Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Ham Call sign:- M1ETN Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Packet Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7NSY.#32.GBR.EU Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-

  • Nothing is illegal until you get caught*
Reply to
Dan Allen

Haven't a clue, The firm i work for has a fleet of 50 lorries,Not one of them has these.

The same amount as you see on Landy's with full roof or roll cage. They are just used for driving through black country!.

Reply to
bones

Must be a regional thing as I haven't noticed any down in Somerset! But what about this craze for blue pin-point lights on all types of vehicle. Surely they are illegal and serve no purpose whatsoever

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

I suspect it's much the same as the bits of rubber dangling from the back of Cortinas all through the 70s and 80s - "Disperse static and avoid travel sickness"

We've been through this not so long ago, but under the lighting regs as long as they are blue and *not* flashing then they're legal at the front - if they're flashing then you are considered to be impersonating an emergency vehicle - this must be nice for the ones which are rigged to the washers!

The craze is called "Looking like a pillock" and is unlikely ever to go away, it's blue LEDs now, in the 60s it was James Bond fake bullet holes, the 70s had go-faster stripes and the 80s had XR3is with teatray spoilers and windows so black you couldn't see out of them.

AFAICT the 90s had d*****ad wideboys in 3 series beemers driving like morons, but I could be wrong.

We now have pinpoint LEDs everywhere.

There's one car runs around near me which has a red one and a green one, unfortunately the wrong way round should it ever go to sea :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

But they don't seem to touch the ground. I wondered whether they clanked when the hit the kerb or something. But as they appear to be plastic, that doesn't seem likely.

I've seen them quite frequently, don't think it's just a one-off. What triggered me to ask was seeing it on a foreign lorry on the M25 earlier. Maybe it's a continental thing?

Reply to
David French

The difficult question is which side to pass when the road is flooded.

Reply to
David G. Bell

ROTFLMFAO!

Reply to