Charging fault

Hi

The rev counter is zero and charging light comes on when using the lights after a few miles. No Charging light under normal conditions. Battery is ak and been tested, and a new alternator has been fitted. No change in the the problem Help I have run out of ideas

Reply to
Stjohn2002 via CarKB.com

On or around Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:11:11 GMT, "Stjohn2002 via CarKB.com" enlightened us thusly:

Is the rev counter at zero when the lights are off, or only when they're on?

rev counter = zero mostly means one of these things:

1) Alternator not charging 2) Alternator not spinning 3) connections to alternator not correct 4) connections to alternator loose 5) rev counter wire faulty 6) alternator earth faulty (I think some have an earth strap) The small wire which isn't the rev counter should be 12V when the ignition's turned on to give an initial feed to excite the alternator. Once the alternator is charging it should keep going.

I forget which engine you're on. On some, the belt for the alternator can be slack, or (e.g. early V8s) the main belt can be slack.

Reply to
Austin Shackles