clunk

Hiya Chaps

I have a landrover 110 300TDI.

  1. When I take up drive I have a clunk, when I have the diff lock engaged there is no clunk so I do not believe it is the gearbox. The front prop and UV joints are new and there doesn't seem to be any slack in the rear prop, so anybody got any ideas ?

What should I be looking for ?

  1. Dropping down from 5th to any of the lower gears I have to wait for a clicking sound before I can engage the lower gear, again any ideas ?

Thanks Troy..

Reply to
troy

  1. Clunk is probably slack in a suspension bush or the ball joint on top of the back axle, but could be worn thrust washers in the centre diff, or, in fact, any slack in propshafts, differentials or drive shafts (e.g drive flange splines). Having the difflock engaged means that the inevitable windup between front and back takes up this slack, and the slack on the suspension bushes/ball joint.
  2. Sounds like the synchromesh working - suspect a slightly dragging clutch or poor technique, but not too sure on this one.

JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:56:57 GMT, "troy" enlightened us thusly:

there's an interlock in the R380 'box which prevents it going from 5th straight across to reverse, and that makes an extra click coming out of 5th. I guess if that's slow, it might stop you getting 4th, depending on how it works - if it just stops the lever going backwards... you might try doing

5th-3rd without waiting for the click if there's time, to see if it will.

clunks on drive takeup... hmmm. could be in the centre diff itself, since you say it doesn't do it when that's locked. either that or front axle diff, or a combination of a small amount of wear in a whole lot of splines...

Reply to
Austin Shackles