Clunking on engaging reverse on ZF4

Hi, the ZF 4 speed on my 96 ES V8 is giving a distinct "clunk" when engaging reverse, is this a sign of imminent wallet damage? I hope not, just bought an MR2 Turbo to play with so need bucks to insure that Group 20!!! :-(

Reply to
StaffBull

So StaffBull was, like

My RRC had the clunk from the day I got it to the day I sold it. No problems in 2 years/~40K miles. Never got any worse - just made sure I gave a pause between ahead and astern. YMMV, of couse.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks Richard, I do that anyway, it's not really a car to rush about in, more a relaxed grumble along!!

Reply to
StaffBull

So StaffBull was, like

I doubt if it will get noticeably worse, in that case, but IANAMechanic.

Not a car to rush about in? Have you tried "Full Ahead Both" on that brass lever on the bridge? "Aye aye Cap'n" - whoosh. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

True, it can go like it had its arse kicked but then you have to worry about stopping or getting round a corner!! especially in mine after the 2" lift - bit "wallowy" but it articulates over obstacles a dream :-)

Reply to
StaffBull

I pinned myself to the seat last week in ours up the lakes on an Overtake...used to driving Mrs D's old Rangie most of the time ...certainly got the blood pumping as it dropped two and squatted.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't mind doing that running on gas, the thought of single figures MPG on petrol is scary !!!

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:34:37 +0100, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

one of the sources for that is front axle CV joints. On the 110, I used to get an impressive great clang going from D to R, which improved when I replaced one of the CV joints which had taken to rattling when on full lock. I never got around to replacing the other side, but I expect that was worn and would have made a similar improvement, although I suspect that you'll never actually eliminate it completely, there are just too many joints and splines and so forth in the front half of the transmission especially, all of which have to reverse when you swap from F to R...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:29:10 +0100, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

it should stop pretty well if you apply the anchors hard - mine showed a noticeable improvement from getting the rear calipers to work properly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles