Clutch plate for LR 90

Does anyone have an opinion about fitting a 130 clutch plate to a 300Tdi 90?

I replaced the whole clutch assembly on my 300Tdi 90 35k miles ago, it was a Valeo from memory, but the damn thing seems to be going west, sounds like a bag of nuts n bolts when I pull away - spring(s) breaking up ?

Seems to be some discussion on lr4x4 forum about using plate for a 130 with the standard cover plate (same part no. apparently)

Alternatively, Paddocks have a spring special (no pun intended, sorry) on Britpart HD clutch kit for 300Tdi 90 but I have mixed thoughts on Britpart spares quality, any comments on that?

Look forward to any guidance

Dave

Reply to
Dave Bromell

All the britpart bits I have had recently have been shit. I'd go for something else.

alternatives like borg and beck ones seem fairly easy to get hold of too:

Tom Woods

As far as I know borg and beck are original equipment

Reply to
jOn

NO...Valeo have been OE for years. I only fit genuine LR clutches mainly because if they fail (within warranty) a main dealer will change it FOC.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I would have thought maybe replaced the part only, not done the job.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

No they do the whole job for you. Have done it for at least 3 of my customers.

Reply to
Marc Draper

In message , Dave Bromell writes

My Tdi's have always been fitted with Genuine (Valeo) clutches, I do lots of towing with the road ones and lots offroading with the toy ones. I have never felt the need to use anything other than standard.

That said in almost 18 years of fitting Landrover clutches I have only ever seen 2 or 3 wear out all the others have been changed due to a failure in either the fork, cover or disc.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Since my last post, Ive just replaced the clutch on my 2A. I guess that the cover was the problem (tired springs or fingers i assume) - as nothing was visibly worn out but the pedal now returns properly and feels much nicer and lighter and it doesnt slip when im trying to reverse park it.

The old clutch came from paddocks 5 or 6 years ago and IIRC was the britpart one (the cheapest one they had at the time as I had only just started working). I've got a borg and beck one in there now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

So what do you reckon to fitting a Borg and Beck 130 clutch plate?

My last plate was a valeo plate for a 90, I don't do off -roading but I do pull a double axle trailer from time to time

Dave

Reply to
Dave Bromell

Thanks for all your inputs, I've decided to drop the gearbox and make sure I've got my facts right about the clutch plate springs failing, then make the decision whether to uprate the plate to a heavy duty

Thanks aga>> In message , Dave Bromell

Reply to
Dave Bromell