Compression test results - Bruce's

Will pass all suggestions on. Bruce does most of the bits he can himself since his best friend who owned a local garage had a brain haemorrage a few years ago. Better the devil you know as they say.

Reply to
Nikki

Shall add your comments to list I am going to give Bruce later - he likes buying new toys to play with!

Reply to
Nikki

Hmmmmmmm ! You can usually check whether the guage itself is working by pulling the connectors - it usually then swings thro to "hot", irrespective of what the engine temp is. Even stone cold. Some engines have a number of temp senders, one for the guage and another for the engine management - no idea on the EFi - sorry.

The suggestion re the stepper motor is also worth following thro - they are indeed renowned for being a trouble spot - but easy enough to sort. Remove - strip - clean - refit.

I would have thought your garage would have either suggested these as possible sources of the problem or indeed identified them as the problems - - - - - -

Is your "garage" any good???????????????????? It does sound as though there might be an excssive reliance on the magic machine!

Its so frustrating, this "guess work!" I do feel for you.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

15 would be easier to work with, being multiples of 10 and all that easy stuff - - - - - - - - - -
Reply to
Mike Buckley

15 isn't a multiple of 10... well, not an integer multiple, anyway...
Reply to
David French

this was done before we went on holiday in the summer, but its definately worth doing again.

That's why Bruce went and bought the Gunson compression tester. He's very sceptical in his old age and I've never known him to be wrong. I think the bit where they said it was going to cost £600 in labour to fit a new engine that did it for him + the cost of a replacement. It's only the second time its ever gone there for anything. But Bruce has sworn its the last time any of them are going there and I can assure he did some swearing.

Thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated, especially by Bruce who is a builder and carpenter and not a b*&^£y mechanic.

Reply to
Nikki

I did that the other night, since it doesn't like damp starting - no need for a Xmas tree in there - sparks everywhere!

New leads and dizzy cap duly fitted...

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

Yes, I was slightly surprised myself to see a listing for an annual- service pack that included a dizzy cap. A 2.25 petrol engine was GBP12 _including_ VAT, which seems pretty sharp on price.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:14:07 +0000, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

yeah, well, it's really somewhere in between. But 14 is the one I remember for some reason.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:31:58 +0000, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

600 notes? I'm in the wrong business. seriously though, at main-dealer style rates it'd be about that. At reasonable garage rates I'd reckon somewhere between 200-400, depending on garage.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm always interested in how we calculate the hourly rate a garage should charge. I'm in no way defending Land Rover main dealer rates, but as an example of the overheads involved in running a garage, who would like to have a guess at the best quote for insurance for a three bay garage, employing 4 people, doing MOT's and providing a limited courtesy car service. No fuel is dispensed. This does not include tools, buildings insurance, or cash theft/fraud.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Don't remind me. Bruce does that at least twice a day usually about 4.15;-)

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:37:51 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

so yer just talking about employee and public liability, then?

summat frightening I expect, I'd not expect it to come in under 4 figures, and might be as high as 5 figures. Public liability insurance is horrendous these days.

but it remains a fact that some garages appear to make a profit (or at least, they don't close down, which may not be the same thing) charging rates around the £15-£20 per hour level, while others charge double that, or treble, or even more. Local place that does decent work (and I can't help feeling that we sponsor the boss's rally car habit) charges IIRC 25 per hour for insurance work and a bit less for private.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:34:24 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

14.50377 PSI = 1 bar. 15 - 1 in old money. ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

No he wouldn't let me - said I might hurt him, the wimp;-)

Reply to
Nikki

richard> I'm always interested in how we calculate the hourly rate richard> a garage should charge. I'm in no way defending Land richard> Rover main dealer rates, but as an example of the richard> overheads involved in running a garage, who would like to richard> have a guess at the best quote for insurance for a three richard> bay garage, employing 4 people, doing MOT's and providing richard> a limited courtesy car service. No fuel is richard> dispensed. This does not include tools, buildings richard> insurance, or cash theft/fraud.

My local MOT place reckon they'd invested 50 grand in setup costs, and that was a few years back. They'd just spent another 25 grand or so adding kit to do bike tests as well as car.

I'd reckon the insurance (I guess we're talking about liability and vehicle insurance? Well, to insure a couple of cars to be driven by whoever turns up isn't going to be cheap to start with. Five grand a year?

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Is that right. We had wondered what it was exactly for.

Reply to
Nikki

not forgetting product liability....

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Not even close! ..........

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:07:40 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

thrrrrpt!

anyroadup, I can *14.5 in me head, tyvm.

e.g. 9*14.5:

9*7=63 63*2=126 plus half a 9 is 130.5
Reply to
Austin Shackles