Converting 90 Hard Top to Station Wagon... any thoughts?

Prices for LR90 Station Wagons seem to be quite high. What would the cost be to convert a Hard Top to something resembling a Station Wagon?

I guess what I am asking is how much people have paid for side windows, rear bench seats and belts to be fitted (including labour).

Anyone done this and would like to share their experiences with me? Any disadvantages or problems? Is it a DIY job? What has been the reaction of insurance companies to the modification (increased risk I presume due to greater likelihood of 3rd party injury claim?)?

Cheers,

Frazer

Hi Frazer,

I don't think the seat belts go so well with rear bench seats, (mine doesn't have them) although I may be wrong. You will probably be looking for the inward facing rear folding seats, of which you will want four. You could either spend a fortune an go for new "Trackers" seats (£££)or have a hunt around at an LR Show/sortout where you should be able to pick up the seats for around 50ukp per seat. That probablly won't include the seatbelts, which you will have to mix and match from other stalls. This is the place you are likely to find second-hand Country trim if you want it (the cream plastic that goes on the inside of the hard tops) I'm not 100% sure on prices though. There are a few bits that you will need.

Side windows can also be picked up reasonably cheaply second-hand and are not too tricky to fit yourself (so I have been told) Just make sure that the size of the side windows is compatible with the plastic interior country trim (if fitted) as there are differing window sizes available. If you are gagging for the roof windows (proper term forgotten) they will be there too.

Others here will be able to give you decent safety tips on installing the seatbelts with sufficient backing plates and on the insurance issue. I'm sure if you do a Google groups search you'll find more info.

Regards

Guy

ps I saw some seats advertised on Ebay a few days back.

Reply to
Guy Lux