converting to V8 from straight six SIII

Hi im thinking of taking out my old wornout straight six for a V8 LPG. Can anyone tell me how much trouble & cost it would be and is there room for the power steering or would it be better to put a jap engine or LPG the original six pot??? The cost of fuel to run it is crippling me but i love the old landi so much i dont want to let it go so engine change and LPG seems the way to go, much to my wife's dismay. Regards Phil.

Reply to
Bernie

I would think that if the original six is in reasonable shape by for the easiest and cheapest would be to convert it to LPG. But unless you use it a lot even then looking at the cost versus the fuel cost you save is worthwhile.

Reply to
JD

Everything and anything is possible with the right amount of money.

Basic conversion to a V8 has to include engine to gearbox adaptor, repositioned engine mounts, either a modified firewall or a modified front cross member depending on how you want to fit the engine. You'll need the stronger Salisbury diffs and probably the later gearbox as fitted to the Stage 3s - which then requires the relocation of the gearbox cross member, which then needs a change of tailshaft. To stop the monster you'll need a nice set of disc brakes as well.

Why not just buy a nice new engine from one of the many "performance" engine builders who advertise in LRM, LRI etc. Drops straight in and no extensive rebuild of the engine compartment.

My gut feel is that the costs of the conversion would pay for about

500,000kms worth of fuel!
Reply to
Roger

2.6 is likely to put out 14 mpg where as a v8 could well put out 18 mpg

That equivalent on LPG prices to 28 mpg compared against 36mpg which is quite a difference over time. Also parts for the v8 are more readily available. Though as to the contest for which sounds better I'm split 50/50

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D