Driving in Very Hot Weather

Hi all,

Just about to head down to the South of France in my '91 200 TDI Disco.

Weather there is in the mid to high 30's most days. Advance party with virtually the same vehicle reporting problems with overheating. Anything I can do in the next day or two which might help when I get down there.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Williams

I am just back from the french alps where I towed a trailer with two old Yamaha XT500 from our annually XT outing over very high mountains and can tell you that the temperature of the engine didn´t even change from regular use. And it was creepy hot. If anything overheats, it has a problem with the cooling system.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Jonathan Hi,

I would suggest you check the fan's viscous coupling, check the water pump's belt, clean the radiator's fins with a pressure washer (taking care not to bent the fins) and last but not least clean the inside of the radiator using one of the specialized solutions.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Reply to
Paul Coley

If you have a desperate time limit, try backflushing the rad.

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:46:55 +0100, "Jonathan Williams" enlightened us thusly:

my V8 towing the big trailer loaded with the other disco ran at normal temp all weekend, despite hammering up the M4 in temperatures not as high as mid-high 30s, but plenty hot enough thanks all the same.

mind, the transmission tunnel lets a lot of heat into the cabin.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My V8 decided to cook while stuck on A46. I ran the fans on full with heater on max - but it kept creeping up. 20 mins by the side of the road sorted it.

When I got home, I unbolted the main rad, removed the rubber protector and levered it back. What I saw between the rads was scary. Let's just say twigs, leaves, mud, small furry animals, insects and stuff probably doesn't cover it!

Pics of the aftermath after running the hose through it :

Neil Brownlee

If high temps were a problem, then most cars in Australia wouldn't move for several months of the year. Usual common sense applies - make sure radiator is topped up, check there's enough anti freeze/coolant in radiator, take it easy and get the aircon serviced. We regularly drive in temps of 40+ and have never had a problem.

Reply to
Viviane

On or around Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:14:36 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

sorry, mixed wossnames. I wasn't towing the trailer this weekend, I was up and down the motorway at 80-85 in the heat. Towing the trailer was the week before, and it wasn't hot weather, neither, however, did it overheat.

Sister's BF has recently remove the aircon radiator from his RR, which stops the aircon from working but also stops the engine from overheating, he reckoned that it was obstructing a lot of the airflow.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You call that hot? Heck, 30+ deg C are winter temperatures in many parts of Australia

Ron Emu Plains, Australia (where it gets up to 45+ deg C in summer)

Reply to
The Becketts

Luukshury!!, we yoos'd t'dream o'weather that kool! U aussies are bluudy softies calling that 'ot. My 110 barely has the choke in at that temp, we wear bloody oovercooats it's that shramm at 30+. Coome t'souf africa, where men are men, and sheep are scared of the wallabies. Now Botswana, in the sand, low range, towing a REAL off road trailer -then you'll see 'ot. ;-)

Steve '84 110 V8 Durban South Africa

Reply to
Steve Maloney

On or around Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:29:20 +1000, "The Becketts" enlightened us thusly:

Holden wrecks and boiling diesels steam in 45 degrees (OWTTE, wonder if the lyrics are online...) yep. and it was right, amazingly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, I know what you mean - Ron lives in the mild coastal fringe of NSW, east of the "sandstone curtain" - it is a lot hotter - and colder - across the mountains. JD Central West NSW Australia,

86 110 3.9 diesel, 70 2a 109 petrol
Reply to
JD

Yep, that's where I live but because it is at the base of the hills we call mountains, it get flamin' stinkin' hot in summer.

I wouldn't call it mild in summer here in Emu Plains. Certainly in winter is is mild (it's mid-winter and it's still shorts and T-shirt weather).

My son has moved to Orange where it is bloody freezing at this time of year and bloody hot in summer. And his old Hillman Super Minx has no problems with the temps.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

In message , Paul Coley writes

Agreed - had a similar problem 2 years ago whilst towing in Scotland.

It turned out that an earlier owner had been offroading and the radiator was stuffed solid with mud which had hardened like concrete..

Back flushing did nothing but a replacement radiator cured it totally

Reply to
Al Stevenson