Age old problem - RRC tailgate adjustment

After getting the Range Rover fairly good, and having fixed most of the problems. Even the electrics work!

The question I have is although I put a new(ish) tailgate on, the bloody thing keeps popping open on one side and it's bloody annoying me.

Any experience of this?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Mine ('94 RRC) used to do this a lot and I put this down to the body sagging at the corners due to rot at each end of the rear body crossmember. I took off the right rear corner panel, cut the end out of the crossmember, pulled out the wiring for the no plate lamps and self tappers for the bottom tailgate spring guides, cleaned out the hollow member and forced in a new one made out of 3mm steel, 64" long whilst jacking up the corners then plug welded it to the good bits and reinforced the body corners. It has now started to do it again occasionally and as you say it is bloody annoying but I think the catches are worn or damaged due to the weight that was on them. I'm going to try some new catches but at the moment I've disconnected one of the gas struts as a temporary measure to stop it lifting even if it does release itself 'cos it's a real pain in the butt!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

You may have tried this, but you can slacken the screws holding the pin to the body side and tap it in the direction to get a better latch and tighten screws again. Worked for me.

Reply to
Martin Coombs

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

yup....

BTDT

HTH

Most unnerving when the tail gate opens at 40mph with two German Shepheards in the back.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Cheers All,

I thought you might have had experience of this Lee. I'll have a look at his over the weekend if I can. I;ve got the whole weekend off, unheard of in high season!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I forgot to mention, it never opens all the way, just the port side opens up and rattles. I thought it my have been what "oily" was talking about but I completely redid the rear crossmember and floor last month. All I can think is that I've welded the sag in place, if you know what i mean.

I have to reverse down a very steep drive onto the lane so I'm think the body flexes and then "pop" she flips open. I nearly lost the plot this morning and bought a toilet door latch and put that on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds like an adjustment issue then on the particuar side affected. Try slackening the rods a touch on that side. Only a nats c*ck mind. On my last tailgate that I replaced with new the rod through the frame was well gunked up and needed to be cleared out as the gunk held it open. Also the rods being able to "chatter" with engine/movement vibes is sometimes enough to allow the catch to slip to the firrst latch. There are clips to prevent this occuring so check they are in place... if they are there then again they may need lubricating too. Don't forget the doofer on the body work can also be adjusted but I'd leave that to the last thing, the thickness of the rubber seal along the bottom of the tailgate can also put some heavy presure on the latch and if the workings of the latch are fecked as they were in the write up linked then no amount of adjustment will help.. it'll be a replacement latch which isn't uncommon as I've had two go on two different RRC's

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm just out to have a fiddle now. It now seems to be an intermittent problem though now. The handle part on the inside with two bolts on it was loose so that can't have helped and it happens less now. When you say "slacken the rod" do you mean lengthen it or shorten it? I might just try and give it a clean out. Can you remember how much new latches are?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I recall around £25 or so each.. slacken is to lengthen on this occasion, don't forget new bolts if you do need a catch the others will probably be well munged when they come out.

Reply to
Lee_D

Cheers, just going to have a tinker, other half having worrying contraction like pains! Tsk, do this woman not understand that I have things to fix!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Braxton Hicks I think they are called , basically practice contractions

a) to get them used to the pain b) to save a fortune on Beer (stops you drinking at night just in case)

Mrs D had some the night I came out of Hospital from a Knee op.... 3am and she was ready to pull the wall paper off and I'm hoping around the room packing a hospital bag for her, 30 minutes of pain for me later and she says , "It's ok they've gone off now."

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I seem to recognise the words "Braxton Hicks", even though it was hard to recognise them in between "F^&K", "C$%^ST, and "B*%%*"=A3$". Her stomach goes so hard you could bounce Range Rover wheel nuts off them when it's happening!

She's due on the 22nd do it really is any time now. There's a really sharp turn into the hospital so at least I should be able to see if I've fixed my tailgate if it happens tonight........

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

| She's due on the 22nd do it really is any time now. There's a really | sharp turn into the hospital so at least I should be able to see if | I've fixed my tailgate if it happens tonight........ | | Dave

Oy, I'm only a mile or two away. Give a shout if you need owt.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

cheers mate, it's noted, and appreciated. Do you want to be put on "the list" (of people who want to be told within 24hrs of it's arrival?!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| cheers mate, it's noted, and appreciated. Do you want to be put on || "the list" (of people who want to be told within 24hrs of it's || arrival?!) || || Dave

Yes please. But don't leave it 24hrs!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I knew my way to our hospital in my sleep by the time our first actually arrived , we had about four or five tyre burning rehersals, each time setting a new lap record, could have been the warm tyres or carrying less fuel... or the need for a full nights kip. Ah yes I remember it well, not a million years ago mind. If yer that close it's probably revving up, Braxton Hicks comes alot sooner if my memory serves me well......

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Thats the thing that's bothering me. It seems that there seems to be a "set order" for doing things and for things happening to give you a bit of a warning, and Ang has been about a fortnight ahead of them all along. I'm fully expecting a midnight dash any night soon. Mind you, if it looks like it may be overdue i'm going to take Ang for a jaunt up a particularly rocky track (fnar! fnar!) and try to hurry things along. After all, I've got a trial to go to on the 28th!!

Reply to
Dave R

MXC8420 Upper Tailgate Catch Assembly - RRC RH £19.97 inc VAT MXC8421 Upper Tailgate Catch Assembly - RRC LH £19.97 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Meant to thank you Lee, if you didn't pick it up elsewhere, the tailgate has satayed firmly shut as required for the last few days! many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Way hay! Another happy customer.

I knew all those hours would come in handy for someone :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D