Dakar 2006 photo's

Maybe of interest to some of you, my son James has just updated our website and posted a selection of pictures that I took while on my trip out there to follow the second week of the Dakar 2006 Rally, fantastic trip. We have just purchased a new 110 without engine and gearbox etc, which we are about to start prepping for next years event, mid life crisis I can hear some of you saying, but the plan is to enter and make it to Dakar, keep an eye on the website for updates. To view to photo's follow the photo gallery to Dakar 2006. Andy Sargeant

Andy Sargeant

Andy Sargeant uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Some good pics there Andy, some made me smile, some made me wince.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Couldn't find any photos, just a tyre shop's website with no photo links.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If you can't see the buttons on the left, you need to:

1) install Java; or 2) install Firefox; or 3) get yer eyes checked; or 4) move the whatsit away from the left side of yer monitor.

...or perhaps even visit my site:

Natalie Drest

Ah right, I don't have java enabled as it's only normally used for daft and annoying animations or overweight menu systems ;-) I'll give it a miss I think.

I thought you meant that the photos were on your website, but no, just stuff about buying stuff in australia.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
Andy Sargeant
[Top posting .... rearranged]

Because the navigation is constructed in such a way that UAs (browsers) without javascript support will not render it.

Whether one believes that approx 15% of surfers and all spiders operate without script support is a decision for the site owner. The fact that, in this (to date) small thread, one poster has reported the problem should IMO be sufficient heads-up.

Reply to
William Tasso

Make that 2.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Andy Sargeant came up with the following;:

Nice one ... or nice many ... ;)

But did you have to rub it in?

" ... taken by Andy Sargeant whilst on a freebie with BFGoodrich. "

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ditto and I thought I had Java!

Reply to
GbH

Window cleaning gear. I thought your screen might need a polish.

Here's the link:

Natalie Drest

Just a minor point of order - the menu on that site is built with javascript, which is not the same thing as java at all.

Important stuff (site navigation definately qualifies as important) should never rely on optional components.

Reply to
William Tasso

Mine (Firefox) has javascript support, and also can support Java but I've turned Java off as it's a dreadful thing to use on a web page as it drags the browser down to a slow speed and ups the memory footprint. I think from another post that the menu system requires java which is why the site can't be navigated by me.

If it does need Java, I'd suggest to the OP that it's removed, it's very rare for a commercial website to require java to move around the pages, as it doesn't work for so many people.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Aha, most amusing ;-)

It was java that was required, I checked, then turned it off again, I've not seen java on a commercial page in a long time.

Thanks, looks like good pics, I've seen some of those large trucks up-close, scary things, I had a good look at the engines (plural) on one too, just one of the engines had three turbochargers plumbed in like some kind of nightmare bathroom fitting!

Lots of Bowlers too, the pictures also seem to be better than most snapshots, I'm assuming they are the best ones as personally I'd have taken about a million on a trip like that!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No, it's built with java, my browser won't display it without java enabled and I don't have problems with javascript which is in daily use.

The giveaway is; applet code="fphover.class" codebase="./" width="180" height="36"

"applet" is java, not javascript.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

And more than that, the Mickysoft version of Java, C#, (very appropriately named) has all the security taken out, leaving you PC wide open to nasties.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

How does a programming language (and it's C sharp, not C hash) affect the security on your PC?

And what has C# got to do with Java in any case?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

That may have been Kickysofts intention, but # is always hash in the programming world.

A very great deal - Java/C# can be executed as part of a web script without the users knowledge, and can easily do the equivalent of delete *.*. (see below). Java was always intended as a "language for the internet age".

C# is Mickysofts interpretation of Java, but without the security. Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You're confusing Javascript and ActiveX, both Javascript and Java have strict limits on what they can do, but ActiveX doesn't. C# is Microsoft's retake on Java and has a similar set of restrictions on it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hehe, sorry Andy, great pics and must have been a good time. As for all the other waffle, that was prompted by me because I and others couldn't navigate your shop's site to find the photos due to it using Java for the main menu, rather than something like javascript or plain HTML. If you just forward this paragraph to your son then it should mean something to him.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings