Defender rear axle spring mounts

Hi all,

I've been attempting to part the rather rusted spring mount from the axle (drum braked) and unfortunately the bolt sheared before the rust gave way on the thread. Upshot is I've got to get the bolt out, however I understand that the nut is captive to the axle bracket (not just by rust!). Is it welded to the bracket on the axle casing or something else?

Current plan is to grind the nut off and replace with standard loose nut on the underside of the bracket, any suggestions please?

Many thanks

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Bell

Alistair Bell uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Do you want to borrow a T shirt ;-)

Had this on a disk braked RRC.. Drill the old bolt out and there was just enough space to get another nut in below the existing captive welded one.

Made a simple job a PITA.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Job done, one suitably grease encrusted t-shirt back in the cupboard... I was banking on some siezed bolts, just not _all_ of them... I think it heard me coming :-)

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Bell

Alistair Bell uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Good effort!

On the bright side ... next time if they shear it's a fall apart job....the assembly not you!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D