Defender TDi horn problem.

Not mine, but there's a Defender 90 on an "M" plate at work with a short to earth on the horn circuit.

Is there a common fault, or is it likely to be the usual Land Rover style random wiring problem?

Reply to
John Williamson

Probably both/all/everything!

Put a headlight bulb (dipped filament) in circuit instead of the fuse, that'll limit the current to safe levels while indicating the "Fault" and allowing you to trace things, also allowing the horn to work, when you do find the problem.

"Have Fun" (You probably wont, but.....)

DaveB.

Reply to
DaveB

I won't, the vehicle belongs to our MD, and it's the fitters who will be doing the work. I'd have started by disconnecting stuff from the horn back to the battery, I was just wondering whether there were any components known to be prone to problems, as My LR is a 1968 series IIa, which has a live feed to the horn, and a wire going to the horn push that connects through a slip ring which is prone to not making a connection. They're more used to working on Volvo and Scania coaches and buses. Half of which have things like horn control relays linked to the speed you're travelling at for that polite "beep" in town, to the full blare on the motorway.

Reply to
John Williamson