Defender "tuning" the German way...

Welllll, it is shiny.......

Martin IJspeert

You know, I kinda like that......

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:45:15 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

I sometimes had thoughts about polishing one. LR used to have a special show model SIII which they took around which was polished. 'course, ideally, you'd get the bulkhead and steel body parts chromed.

what put me off really, though, was the amount of polishing that'd be needed to keep it looking shiny like that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There is a series 1 in town here, working vehicle, belongs to a mechanic that works on the fishing boat engines, it's bare metal and was once polished I'm sure but is now rather dull looking.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi!

You should know that the german Landrover in the pictures has a varnishing, it's not bare polished Metal! I'm from Germany and I saw the report about that landy and it's some kind of a very special varnish with silver in it... I don't really know if that is better than polished stainless steel, but i guess it's easier to keep it shiny...

cu

johannes

Reply to
Johannes Fontaine

The finish on those De Loreans doesn't look that good close up, and most stainless steels will rust eventually. Now how about silver plating, theres an idea I believe that certain Maharajahs in India have gone to those lengths in the past.

I have a few bits of shiny metal on my landie, where the paint has flaked off. many more corroded ones though.

varnishing, it's not bare polished Metal!

of a very special varnish with silver in it...

guess it's easier to keep it shiny...

Reply to
Larry

varnishing, it's not bare polished Metal!

of a very special varnish with silver in it...

guess it's easier to keep it shiny...

I thought about doing a Defender in polished ali like in the pictures and researched into the posibilities of laquering it. There is a very expensive etch laquer I found which would have done the job, never got round to trying it though. Screwfix do an aerosol of etch laquer cheap, not tried that but i imagine it's quite crap, was going to do my range rover door handles that I polished up.

Fergus

Reply to
fergus.kendall

Silver tarnishes something rotten, reacts with sulphur to produce black sulphides.

But have umpteen minions to keep it polished and can afford to have it replated...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice