dico break dance

Greetings One & All

Consider this (please, because I'm stumped) ....

Vehicle: Discovery V8i auto

I get in, drive to where I want to go, stop and get out. No fuss.

SWMBO gets in, drives 10 yards then panics because the brakes aren't working.

I get in, drive to where I want to go, stop and get out. No drama.

SWMBO gets in, drives 10 yards then panics because the brakes aren't working.

I get in as a passenger - we drive around a bit. No drama. Normal braking works, emergency braking works. No fuss.

SWMBO gets in, drives 10 yards then panics because the brakes aren't working. This time I sent #1 son out as a spy and he confirms that his dear mother does indeed display symptoms of panic.

The above repeats for over a week.

Other symptoms reported ...

o On one occasion - the pedal 'went hard' - I assume an issue with the servo. o metalic crunching - sounds like gears mashing - rather than meshing.

One thing I've noticed is that engaging 'park' ... doesn't always engage - IYSWIM

Anyhow, I've arrived at witzend - all roads outta here look like dead-ends. I could live with the hysterics but now SWMBO is refusing to drive the Discovery and I'm now the target driver for every inconsequential trip.

I've checked - a new SWMBO is considerably more expensive than a new Discovery.

Reply to
William Tasso

I wonder if the cantankerous nature of both is the same; both mine are starting to droop and groan :-)))

110 CSW 98 SWBO
Reply to
Hirsty's

The best things in life are seldom cheap. Perhaps you could just rent one for the day now and again.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

||| I've checked - a new SWMBO is considerably more expensive than a new ||| Discovery. || || || The best things in life are seldom cheap. Perhaps you could just || rent one for the day now and again. || || Huw

Advice I got from a rich bloke I was talking to last year - boats, aeroplanes and women. Never buy. Always rent.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Borrow, on long term moan.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Not blonde is she William?

Mine refuses to drive the Disco since she started it in gear one day and it drove across the parking area at home without stalling due to the impressive torque. Needless to say I got the blame for leaving it in gear despite the fact that I had told her as the handbrake wasn't working at the time.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Conclusive proof that it is best to rent.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

What day is it?

I'm embarased to say I did that in the 110 in a customers car park - I wasn't even in it at the time. Managed to jump in and bring it under control - fairly late at night, no damage and no witnesses.

Checking is now hardwired.

Of course - can't imagine why you felt the need to mention it.

Reply to
William Tasso

ugh - stoppitatonce, all of you, you're killing me.

Now I have to add a context sensitive rule to my network firewall - I's gonna be in big trouble if she sees this thread.

Reply to
William Tasso

As you should be :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

You don't by any chance have nice thick mats in the motor do you? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Are you serious?

ok, there are mats - I wouldn't call them 'nice thick', but there are certainly mats over the carpet.

/goes out check.

yep - definately mats c/w Land Rover logo.

I know the the holistic approach to motor vehicle maintenance has its supporters, but I'd be much happier with a simple cause/effect relationship.

Reply to
William Tasso

Listen up - if I get to the bottom of this mystery I'll be a tops of the pops - otherwise I'm dead meat.

Hero or Zero - no middle ground.

Reply to
William Tasso

Just possibly - Large mat + heels as she is driving the mat creeps forward a little and prevents free travel of brake ( or in my case clutch) pedal for a bloke (who can kick start a 747) its not much of a problem you just press harder but if you appear to have the pedal fully depressed and its not doing owt then you get a bit tense specially if its a brake pedal. Have a look at the top of the mat if you can see a crease where the pedal arm is thats likely to be the answer. As I mentioned I had a stiff change to 2nd with the pedal appearing to be down but that last bit was not accessable due to the mat long since history. Derek

Reply to
Derek

William,

A loose wheel bearing will push out the pads and can cause "rattly" pads as well as an initial "no braking!" ... best check they are ok. The trouble is - as a daily driver you will compensate for this without even realising....to the extent I was pulsing the brake pedal on Piglet for months before the bearing actually failed!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

ok - there's definately movement and a minor 'thump' when rocking the top of the tyre.

I'll take a look at that when time allows. In the meantime, dumping the mat/rug thingie (thanks Derek) and providing clear instruction on technique seems to have removed this particular gremlin.

SWMBO was persuaded to make a few local trips in the Discovery today and life seems to have calmed.

/relief - hope it lasts.

Reply to
William Tasso

William,

"/relief - hope it lasts."

It will until the bearing locks ;-) Then she'll hate the steering.....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

shhhh - one day at a time :)

Reply to