Disco 3 dodgy auto gearbox?

A couple of days ago I test drove a Disco 3 2.7 diesel for sale with auto box, 30k on clock 2005 year. When coasting at 30 mph the box was jumping between gears a couple of times a second. When I pulled off from stationary, the engine revved up in neutral then went into second and then first gear before engaging and moving off. Any Ideas? I've never known an auto do this before. (I was in drive all the time).

Regards

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Well I wouldn't buy it ... unless they knock off about 5k from the asking price ... ;)

What did the seller say about it?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

WALK AWAY!!

Reply to
JacobH

Probably needs a flush, the boxes seem to develop weird habits like this after 2 or 3 years unless the box has been flushed, have a search on disco3.co.uk as there are lots of posts about it. Once flushed and re-filled they are usually spot on but I wouldn't buy it like that and even if fixed I'd invest in a good warranty!!

Reply to
Andy

It's more likely to be the selector linkage to be honest ...symptoms that require flushing are very different.

Reply to
Richard