Disco 300 engine stopping problem....

Hello,

Just been upto the tip in the hot weather, gets back home and switches ignition off. Thats strange.......keys in my right hand and the engines still running??????????? Rev counter off but the SRS light is on faintly, re-insert keys to ignition, rev counter comes on, SRS light glows to normal brightness then switches off - normal. Turn to off and it stops. Any ideas, is my ignition barrel about to fail do you think?

Any help would be most gratefully recieved

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Hello again,

Panic over!!!!! I had been towing a trailer when it happened. I was looking out of the window and saw the cable hanging there detached from the light board, bare ends and all......... So, I pulled up with side lights on, and stopped the engine whilst my foot was on the brake pedal.

So, with the side lights on, power to the end of the cable, touches the brake light wire, which sends the voltage back through the brake light switch and through all the ignition controlled fuses and obviously into the spider to keep the engine running!!!!

Have repaired light board now and evrythings fine again.

Thanks

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Alistair posted:

Who'd a thunk it ? It happened to me once, now you mention it, trailer board wiring fell apart, car wouldn't stop running, but blew all the fuses .. Not, I hasten to add, a Land Rover though .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx