cable and charging

Firstly what size cable should I use to connect my 90ah leisure battery to my main battery when it's charging? (65a alternator).

Also could I fit a diode in the cable and leave them both connected in parrallel thus discharging the leisure battery without discharging the main battery?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

This is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but I'd suggest using 4 sq. mm. as a minimum.

Another can of worms! Fitting a diode like this will reduce the charging rate to your leisure battery considerably on accopunt of the diode's forward voltage drop. If you fit two diodes - one for the leisure battery, and one for the starter battery - you can then "tweak" your alternator to produce more volts and compensate for the loss in the diode. Whether any of this is worth it is a judgement call for you to make based on your own circumstances.

Reply to
QrizB

Twas Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:23:52 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@dev.null (QrizB) put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks for that, I feel a toggle-switch coming on...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

If you use a Diode use a scottky-diode. It reduces the charging rate just a little bit.

"QrizB" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com...

Reply to
Opemus

A cable rated at more than 65A