Disco 300tdi manifold gasket advice

Hi,

Just about to have a go at sorting out an annoying leak next to cylinder 4 from a rather tired manifold gasket. I know how the inlet manifold comes off and I can just about see where the outlet manifold bolts are. Can anyone tell me if I slip in a new gasket by just removing these bolts i.e without having to disconnect oil feed, air intake etc to the turbo ?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
nick.ould

Yes you can leave all of these on. Once you remove the manifold securing nuts you can slide the whole manifold/turbo assembly away from the head leaving enough space to replace the gasket. There are a few picture on the following page from when I did mine.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Reed

Thanks Colin - photos really helpful ! So there appears to be enough play in the feed pipes to the turbo to leave them on then. Do you suggest a well placed axle stand under the exhaust downpipe to hold this lot? You say some of your studs come out of the block.Did you just screw them back in as is or should they be reseated using nut+locking nut? The inlet ports on mine are horrible dirty (I've recently disabled the EGR but the old gunk is still there). I'll need to clean out the inlet chamber (diesel,petrol white spirit?) and will have to have a go at the ports as well being careful to not let anymore crud drop into the engine....

Nick

Reply to
nick.ould

The only thing I think I removed was the top intercooler hose. There is mention in the WSM about undoing the exhaust pipe joint between the downpipe and mid sections but I just left it in place and it was fine, there's enough flex in the exhaust system to allow it to move enough.. I used a piece of wood to support the turbo assemly and another piece as a lever to lift it back into place.

The nuts were seized onto the studs that came out of the block. I just treated them as bolts when putting them back in though I should really have removed the seized nuts and reseated the studs - the exhaust manifold studs are only torqued to 10 Nm whereas the nuts are 45 Nm. I've got some new studs for when the manifold comes back off and will use the nut and locknut method when I do fit them. If you can maybe get some spare studs before you do the job.

I would suggest using paraffin to clean out the inlet manifold and also intercooler if it hasn't been done yet. Make sure theres none left in though before starting the engine. My 300Tdi Defender has never had EGR fitted (it was an MOD whitefleet vehicle) so my manifold was cleaner than I was expecting for 150k miles.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Reed