LR wheel identification please

Hi, After my recent post looking for some wheels, I've been offered 5 wheels, but I think they are RR wheels and thus not suitable for my

110 (weight capacity ??) Also not sure of rim size, (I need 16 x 5) although the lister who has offered them gave me some sizes:- "external diameter is 17 1/2 inches and the external width is 7 3/16 inches."

So can anyone confirm or correct my diagnosis? There are pics as follows:-

Thanks alot!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Those are indeed Range Rover Wheels. If I remember right you have to "modify" the centres to get them to fit Defender - obvioulsy not something you should really do!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'm surprised the shinney spacers that I refuse to acknowledge on the shelf right in my eyeline at the parts counter didn't get a mention... nope... not looking... only 350 odd days to the next birthday mind :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That would be unfair, though they are very, very, very shiney........

gleam

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Definitely look like Range Rover wheels.

If this is an auction and you can't use them, please post the link, or pass on where they are and how much is wanted. I'm after a cheap set of steel wheels for off-roading the Disco which currently has alloys on.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.ukwww.radioparadise.com- Good Music, No Vine

Can anyone confirm Richards comment, these wheels are relatively close to me (a rare occurance) so I only want to "reject" them if I really can't use them. I did find another reference (via google) about them not being rated to the max plated weight of the 110 and thus could cause insurance problems etc.

Thanks , Andrew

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Hi Paul, its not an auction, they're in Scotland, north of Inverness, so I'm not sure about shipping, but I will pass your details to the seller if I can't use them.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

On or around Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:24:52 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

remember you need "steel" wheelnuts as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Andrew T." wrote :-

beamendsltd wrote :-

Those are *early* Range Rover wheels and they were also fitted OE to mid 90s Defenders so no modifications required, if they're not far away try them on the hubs , they don't need tyres fitted to see if they fit. I think the confusion arises from people fitting them to Series motors, that requires modification to the drive plates rather than the wheels as does fitting alloy wheels to early Defenders, no need to damage the wheels. And as Austin says, don't forget the nuts.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I have a cunning plan... next time I come in , I'll have a full tank of Petrol... and I'll be wearing shades :-)

.. Ok I lied about the petrol.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Heh, no worries then ... too far to be economical.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yup.

Cheers for the heads up though .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Also check whether they're suitable for tubeless tyres. Early Range Rover steel wheels did not have the retaining humps, and were only suitable for use with tubed tyres. Tubed tyres are less easy to find than tubeless, and problems often arise from fitting tubes into tubeless tyres.

Reply to
Autolycus

Thanks all for the replies, I still don't have an answer about the weight rating though, so unless someone knows about this for sure, I think I will give them a miss.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

I'm probably wrong but J rated wheels aren't enough. It was discussed here a while ago, technically it appears you could use them as long as you don't take the 110 up to it's maximum loading. Personally I'd give them a miss and only fit wheels rated to do the job.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee, Thanks for your reply, yes I have just come to the same conclusion, after routing around on the net (autocar road test archive

I came up with the max weight of an early range rover (1970 ish) tobe about 2200kg, well short of the 110 mgw so I'm not going to usethem.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

All for which you can guarantee them (meaning persuade someone who may have the right to ask) is that a pair will carry the maximum permitted rear axle load of a RRC of the time i.e. 1510kg.

A 110 rear axle load if taken to the limit could reach 1850kg without the Boge unit or 1750kg with the Boge unit. (Early 110 data(

The 110 front axle limit is 1200kg.

There is, of course, a considerable margin built in (probably enough for a 3g bump) and I'd be happy to use them within a 1510kg axle load limit. I'd suggest that would cover your off-road playing. The choice, however, is yours.

I have not had major problems with tubes in 'tubeless' tyres but some tyres may be more tube-friendly than others.

Reply to
Dougal

Thats the key point, (and I'm glad you thought of using the axle loads as I had forgotten about these figures), the 110 can reach 1850, some

300kg more than the RR. While I don't load my 110 to the limit often, I do sometimes, and as usual it also may be an issue with insurance "get-outs" with wheels not "up to factory fitted specification". I've sourced some 110 wheels now from fleabay, subject to shipping costs up here.

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In message , Autolycus writes

Make sure there are no moulding ribs inside the tyres and use good quality tubes ... I haven't had a puncture for 5 years ... bugger I've just talked that one up!

Reply to
AJG

You can fit tubeless tyres to tube-type rims without tubes if the wheels are airtight, although they will come off if you let the air out of the tyres and go off-roading. Some inflatable bead lockers will fix that though. The tubed wheels don't have an inner retaining lip, but the air in the tyre will retain it very well, I've practically driven the pinz on its side with tubeless tyres on tubed wheels and not a hint of movement. Lots of other pinzers do the same. I'm not so sure I'd try it on a sports car with wide wheels though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings