disco c-pillar/wheelarch rust

my '95 disco has (the usual?) rust where the c-pillar joins the wheel arch.

Photos here:

(optimised, 22k for page) Is it possible to stop this getting worse (or slow it down for a year or 2) without major cutting/welding etc.?

Please tell me that 10 minutes with a wire brush on my angle grinder, some primer and some paint will be enough!!

Thanks, Chas

Reply to
Chas

I'll give that a try - it seems worthwhile if it will delay the inevitable.

Just been out for a look at the top and bottom joints of the A and B pillars, all seem good as new! But I'll save them up to worry about later.

Actually, I think its in pretty good nick; the back door hinges are rusty, there is one small patch under an alpine light rubber and a few spots that I should really sort out on the front bumper. The c-pillar thing seems to be the most serious.

Ta, Chas

Reply to
Chas

Hi Chas

Looks identical to the same point on my 1989 RR. I've got away with mucho rust removal and a light filler on one side and by welding a steel plate over the other (bloody ugly welding job too). I did consider welding a new front part to the arch/C pillar but I could not source a repair section anywhere.

Check the state of the wheel arches too - mine failed the MoT as one wheel arch was essentially held together by the carpet glued to the inside and, as the failure sheet said, that was within 30cm of the rear seat belt anchor which is bolted through the wheel arch on a RR. Also worth a poke around where the wheel arch meets the door sill.

Graeme

inevitable.

Reply to
Graeme