Disco ECU comms

I posted the following on uk.d-i-y with some excellent suggestions resulting. I'm going to have to spend some time on the beast when I get a dry day. However it occurs to me there may be someone on this group who can offer some personal experience of the problem. At the moment I am hoping to get to the throttle pot but it looks like a seriously difficult access problem :-(

My '03 Discovery has begun a sporadic fault. Symptom being the engine management fault light comes on and the accelerator pedal has no effect

although the engine continues to run at tick over. This has happened twice now at about two weeks apart. First time just before Christmas on

a busy dual carriageway during peak period. I managed to coast up onto the grass right out of the way of the traffic fortunately or some loon would no doubt have come to a sudden stop in my rear end. I called the RAC out and on arrival the fault had disappeared. the engine started and ran ok so we travelled to a nearby car park where the RAC guy plugged his "universal" comms laptop into the link but the Land Rover system would not talk to his set. He theorised that the fault was transient but would be in the engine management memory and a Land Rover agency could interrogate it. Having tried and failed to make an appointment at a reasonable time before Christmas the problem recurred on boxing day but I found simply turning off then on again was sufficient to reset the unit again. I am now due to take the vehicle into an agency next week but they were not confident the memory would still hold the fault. Have we anyone in our numbers who have knowledge of the engine management system on a Discovery 2.5 Diesel and is it feasible to get hold of the commes interrogation software to run on my own laptop?

Reply to
cynic

I think your RAC bloke is right. The throttle potentiometer is actually two pots back to back, and the system monitors both. If there is a disagreement, then the system defaults to "limp home" (in this case the result is simply allowing the engine to idle) until it is re-set by switching off and on. All will be well until the fault re-occurs. I would expect the ECU to store such a fault for quite some time (quite likely until the next service re-set), so plugging into TestBook or Rovacom etc may well tell you what has happened. There was a DIY system (complete with wiring diagram for the probes) on the web a while back, but I haven't heard of it for a while now.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

SNIP

Thanks for that. Is there any "easy" way to get to the throttle pot? It seems to require removal of the drivers seat and lying on my back with my head under the footwell to get anywhere near it - or am I just unfit and inflexible?

Do you recall a name or anything which would help in Googling for a DIY comms kit?

Reply to
cynic

It's not you - it's a bugger to get at!

Unfortunately not - all the terms I can think of are likely to get all sorts of interesting results!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It is a bit of a squeeze but drivers seat removal is unnecessary.

Reply to
Marc Draper