disco engine in 101 ambi

Decisions, decisions.

Should I keep the 101 LT95 gear box or use the gearbox off the disco on the 101 transfer box.

The donor vehicle is a 1991 Disco, will that be an LT85 or an LT77 box

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Does the plasma cutter work on aluminium?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Yup. Access will not be a problem :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Bung in the one attached to it then get the ratios sorted.

Seems logical. You will also have a spare box then for the GS.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

But is it really strong enough - the 101 box is pretty tough, but not as nice to change gear with.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Well when its broken bung an auto in.. cutting to fit to the 101 box (shortened input shaft) may knacker it anyway if not lined up right IYSWIM.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You've seen the workshop. Do you seriously think it'll be a problem.....

I know you and Martyn rave about autoboxes, but I don't like them at all.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In your workshop I'm sure anything is possible.... infact I'd go as far to say anything is possible. But is it worth all the effort? Zeus already knock out a conversion. Is it going to work out cheaper DIY for a one off, if so then go for it..after all whats the worst that can happen!

Any progress on those brake fluid reserviours? I've deveolped a leak.. suspect its the rubber feeder hose but also can guess what will happen when I pull it off too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They're just lazy! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

My excuse was a dickie knee.. but in the 101 The auto makes sound logic.. less wear on the drive take up means your not going to be picking up transfer gears at inopportune moments. Also frees hands up for other panic prompted driver manouvers ;-)

Percy has also survived well given he's got a 4.2 in.. wonder how long a manual box would have gone before popping something on the drive train. Not that I'd wish to tempt fait you understand.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The Zeus bits are over 350 quid for a start. Thats a reasonable amount of my time. And besides, when did economics come into it ?

Since I am getting pretty close to getting the ambi (Wendy...) to run, the reservoirs are on the top of my list. I may even try and have a go at one next week.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:37:46 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

actually, the ZF is a wonderful thing in a land rover. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:40:11 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

or should that be other-panicked-driver-prompted manoeuvres?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ive actually never driven any automatic car. A lot of people have said theyre nice though. My mate said he'd let me have a go in his (car) when its back on the road. I can really see the appeal of having one in a 101 as changing gear a fair bit (as you have to) is pretty hard work!

Reply to
Tom Woods

My left leg hates them. Thinks it's been made redundant...

Reply to
Mother

I lost count of how many times I said exactly the same over the last 4 days...

Reply to
Mother

I only wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:56:13 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I'm rather tempted for the current disco in fact, just that I wonder if it might hurt the economy, such as it is. Also I may yet do a deal for a decent LT77, rebuilt about 40K miles ago.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You lot are all making me think about it and ive never even driven one yet! Stop it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Nooooooo.....

Do it in a 101, Austin ;-)