110 gearbox advice req'd

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to LR's and have just purchased a 1988 110 3.5l V8 which needs a lot of tlc, although it does have a year's MOT.

there's so much to do but I'll start with where I think a major problem may be.

the gearbox whines in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th but not 4th.

I'd expect some noise in 1st and possibly 2nd as it's a fair bit of weight to get moving but in 3rd and 5th worrys me a bit.

tia Peter

Reply to
wireless

Depending on what you are used to it may be normal - but at that age it could well be general wear on bearings. It does have oil in it I assume? (you did check?) JD

Reply to
JD

4th gear is direct drive through the box and consequently there's no side thrust loading on the bearings as there is in all the other gears. It will most likely be the layshaft bearings but could be any in the main box.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

yes, it was low but I topped it up and it's stayed in there.

Peter

Reply to
wireless

sounds like it'd be easier to replace the g/box rather tahn replace it's parts.

how much is a recon g/box?

I'm prepared to fit it myself so could spend a bit extra on it.

Peter

Reply to
wireless

Depends where you are, there's a good man for a box near Halifax, I can mail you his number if you want.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

I'm in Essex although I might pass Halifax on business.

can you send his number to me at rainhamscoutgroupatyahoodotcodotuk

thanks Peter

Reply to
wireless

On or around Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:59:37 +0100, "wireless" enlightened us thusly:

unless it's really loud, I wouldn't worry about it. the reason 4th doesn't whine is because 4th doesn't actually use the gears inside the box, it's a direct drive straight through. Chances are it's just a lifetime of wear and tear and possibly low oil and inadequate changes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:01:29 +0100, "wireless" enlightened us thusly:

LT77 I got for the disco a bit back was about 600 notes.

what sort of noise, BTW, a whine or a rattle? if it's just a bit of gear whine, then all the LT77s have a bit of noise, IME, so unless it's loud or there are other symptoms like iffy gear selection, I'd not be too worried. If you get rattles, especially in neutral, then you might have iffy bearings.

as with all noises, you really have to drive it to diagnose it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Santana box then, renowned for being more noisy than others. I'd be tempted to make sure it has the correct oil, cue Huw, and see what develops.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

On or around Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:44:47 +0100, AJH enlightened us thusly:

I'd have thought it'd be an LT77, on that vintage.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think all the post 83 Land Rovers with V8s had the LT85 box because it is more rugged, albeit more agricultural.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

How does one tell? is it stamped on the unit in big 'idiot friendly' letters?

Reply to
William Tasso

I wasn't sure but

gives a guide.

Mine's been noisy in the low gears with poor syncro on 2nd since I got it, 80000km later it is much the same.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Hi, I've got a 1986 V8 110 with LT85 santana box, and have exactly the same as you, quiet in 4th very noisy in all others, so much so I generally drive around in 4th, never bother changing to 5th.

Mines only done 40k miles, but its terrible on the g-box front. Transfer box also whines like hell.

I've got a recon box to fit, but got to build a garage first..!

Cheers, Andrew

wireless wrote:

Reply to
Andrew

I had a 90 with the same box and had the same noise. I had a recon box from Ashcrofts fitted which transformed the vehicle (=A31000 fitted). I could hear the engine again (and enjoy the sound) plus I found more perrformance in the engine - the absence of howl from the gearbox meant I was changing up a gear higher in the rev range. I also had the transfer box changed at the same time (=A3395 and fitted as part of the above job).

The factory V8 is an LT85 - the Lt77 is painted black, the LT85 is unpainted alloy.

Reply to
ChavScum

My 110 with LT77 has rattled in neutral for the last 15 years and its still going as well as ever. It's of no consequence.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It's certainly worth trying an oil change to a MTF type fluid or even to a UTTO [universal tractor transmission oil] but don't expect wonders. Try it though. You may be surprised. As for transfer box whine, then I'm afraid you will have to live with it or change the box for a post 86 version. They changed the tooth profile in late

  1. I know this because I had a RR V8 in 86 which had the hellish noisy transfer box and changed it for a quieter transfer box fitted to an 88 diesel RR. At that time I took a lot of interest in the technicalities of my vehicles. Still do for that matter.

Huw

Reply to
Huw