disco heater

Hi Now that the cold weather has arrived I have just rediscovered how poor the heater in my disco is.Is this just mine or are all others the same? Alan

Reply to
chubbery

chubbery came up with the following;:

Once the engine's warm mine's fine ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:48:42 -0000, "chubbery" enlightened us thusly:

If it's a TDi, then slow warm-up is normal, but if the engine doesn't get to normal running temp, then try swapping the thermostat.

Also, check the coolant is plenty full enough - the heater sits above the coolant level...

If it's really feeble, try swapping the heater hoses over at the matrix end, so the water flows through it the other way...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Disco I, II, or III? (I do wish people would more specific...)

My DII, with climate control, is generally fine once the engine and water have got up to temp, which takes something over 5 minutes. You can roast your nuts off by whacking it up to "HI"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Forgot to mention Its a discovery one 3.9 litre lpg.The radiator temperature at the top hose is at 86deg after about two to three miles drive.As the water supply for the vaporiser is tee`d off of the heater hoses (parallel circuit) I wonder if its taking away the flow through the matrix.Would it be better to take the vaporiser supply off after the heater (series circuit).Has anyone tried this and with what result. Thanks Alan

Reply to
chubbery

Must admit, mine takes a short time warming up but once there, hmmmm nice and toasty. Disco 1 300TDi '94

Reply to
cyberwraith

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:48:42 -0000, "chubbery" scribbled the following nonsense:

About 3 minutes and my 200TDi is blowing lovely warm air

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:24:00 -0000, "chubbery" enlightened us thusly:

You can do that on a disco I, since the heater is continuous flow and doesn't turn the water off. I had mine done like that.

Still worth swapping them heater hoses though. I've had it work several times on several vehicles... and has the advantage of being a free fix if it does.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Had a similar problem on my 3.9. The heater was ok then over a period of about three weeks the temperature gauge would not move into the first quarter. Turned out the thermostat was opening at just over 60 degrees ???.

Fitted a new one and now all toasty.

Lofty

Lofty

Many thanks for the replies I have swapped the pipes round on the heater as suggested its made the whole thing bearable at last. Alan

Reply to
chubbery

On or around Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:15:28 -0000, "chubbery" enlightened us thusly:

beats me why it works. The really odd thing is that if in the future the heater gets feeble again, you can swap 'em back to how they were originally and also achieve an improvement.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What if you swap them again now?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:39:53 -0000, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

never tried it. wasn't any point, since the heater was working.

Reply to
Austin Shackles