Disco II V8 stranded in Czech Republic - help!

Thanks for the explanation, that all makes perfect sense to me.

Hence, presumably, why engines built with "top hat" liners supposedly cure the problem for once and all?

Examination of spark plugs this morning showed all same colour and no sign of bleaching or washing, so dealer has now started to pull the top end apart. While they do that, I will be quietly praying over the weekend to the cylinder head gasket god (in case one exists) that it will turn out to be nothing worse than a blown head gasket!!

More news early next week, so fingers crossed!

Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates

Yes. They are firmly inserted all the way (and held there!) then the liner tops skimmed.

Had a 4.6 engine from a hillrally motor in here some years back with blown head gaskets - blown to the point of warping the heads by 8 thou (!!) and losing chunks of gasket to the outside world next to 4 cylinders (centre two on each bank, strangely enough). It was absolutely fine after new gaskets and a skim of the heads, even though I suspected the worst re. cracking.

Will await your news, fingers crossed for you.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger