Disco mechanical clunk - any ideas?

I have a 2001 Disco 2 TD5 Auto, every day when I set off from home and pull out from the hilly estate where I live onto a long straight I hear a fairly loud 'clunk' from the front of the car. It happens only once and is usually when settling into a cruise of around 30-40mph. Initially I thought it maybe the auto box changing down but have ruled this out. Does anyone know of any component on a D2 that moves/engages/disengages whilst cruising? The car is fitted with ACE but as I the noise doesn't occur when cornering I doubt this is the cause? It is really puzzling me and as I am off to France in a fortnight I really need to be sure that there isn't a more serious fault developing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Is it route specific or does it do it on every trip from cold? Could be something as silly as exhaust expansion.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Most obvious thing given it is an auto would be the torque converter locking up, and can happen with a bit of a bang - but not sure if this would happen at 30-40, would expect it to happen at a higher cruising speed - tho I have not driven a Td5 auto myself for any length of time so maybe it does??

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:04:39 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

pretty unlikely at below 40. Try holding the 'box manually in 3, and drive otherwise the same - see if it occurs then. That'll eliminate torque converter things, even if it does lock up that low.

suspension stuff could be worth a look - joints and bushes and so on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

||| I have a 2001 Disco 2 TD5 Auto, every day when I set off from home ||| and pull out from the hilly estate where I live onto a long ||| straight I hear a fairly loud 'clunk' from the front of the car. It ||| happens only once and is usually when settling into a cruise of ||| around 30-40mph. Initially I thought it maybe the auto box changing ||| down but have ruled this out. Does anyone know of any component on ||| a D2 that moves/engages/disengages whilst cruising? The car is ||| fitted with ACE but as I the noise doesn't occur when cornering I ||| doubt this is the cause? It is really puzzling me and as I am off ||| to France in a fortnight I really need to be sure that there isn't ||| a more serious fault developing. || || Most obvious thing given it is an auto would be the torque converter || locking up, and can happen with a bit of a bang - but not sure if || this would happen at 30-40, would expect it to happen at a higher || cruising speed - tho I have not driven a Td5 auto myself for any || length of time so maybe it does?? || || Matt

The TC locks up at about 52-53mph, so I doubt if it would be that.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Check the propshaft nuts and bolts.

Took me ages to track down that clunk on my Series One!

Reply to
Rory

I am beginning to think it's suspension related, been to Langdale Quest off-road site today and it was knocking over all the bumps.

Reply to
Andy

Check your anti-roll bar bushes.......the fronts go on the TD5's quite quickly for some reason. Easy to check - look at front while someone rocks the vehicle.... :-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee