Disco rear seat project

The passengers backside :)

Reply to
Larry

took a step forward today, seat arrived from BLRS. Not bad, I only ordered it on monday, and it's a non-standard line which they had to cover the cushions specifically for, so they weren't on the shelf.

anyone with these 90/110 etc. rear benches know if there's supposed to be anything holding the seat cushion on? doesn't appear to be on this'n. the seat back part is obviously normally bolted down to the wheelbox and the base part is hinged, and clearly rests on the wheelbox, overhanging it by a few inches. The required frame looks dead simple in fact, just needs to support the sides where the backrest part bolts on and have a support along where the front edge of the wheelbox would be if it was on one. I reckon it can all be done with 2 legs, given suitable bracing in the middle. The backrest is apparently only supported at each end, although of course in the original installation it can't move far without hitting the side of the vehicle. I may decide on an additional frame member each side to add to the support of the backrest part.

now to invent a method of holding it down securely while still being removable without use of tools...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

Not as standard .. mate used sticky back velcro strips .. ;)

He found it was better letting the front overhang further than you think. Later, after a few weeks of use the rest of the frame begins to move a little, as most new additions do, and the wear factor means the seat back will go quite a bit further than it maybe should. An extra inch at the start isn't a problem, but moving them later can be .. ;)

Bolt through from underside, with hole drilled to suit frame holes then use R-clips and large washers .. swot I use for the Trials bike trailer .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Or go make some pretty holes in a scrap people carrier the likes of a Espace.. they have nifty flush mounted seat brackets so when the seat is removed the only danger is the odd sticky toffee geting stuck in the hole.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Twas Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:31:14 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

on mine the cusion has some fabric ties which you tie behind the uprights at each end, or you would if they hadn't been snapped off years ago.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:38:54 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

that's near enough what I had in mind, except that the gas tank is under the rear floor precluding access, so I might instead make a plate with a sticking-up sprog on it and weld it to the floor from above. Seat belt mounts will of course have to bolt through, but they're right near the back and the tank isn't in the way, I hope.

I intend probably to have the mounts for the seat either side, anyway, so maybe the access ain't a problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In that case... shoot bolts as in ...

overengineered to instill confidence in the parents of the weelittle ones you escort. Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:36:42 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I bet they never look at it. very trusting, some people. Granted, if it was obviously held in with string, they might not be amused.

gotta hunt some steel for the underframe today.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:33:04 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

OK, got the bits fro the frame, but yet to actually construct anything. no sense in being too hasty...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No...you've got till the morning ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:29:56 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

currently got a rather uncomfortable swelling in a very private place, which has rater curtailed crawling around making and fiddling. hope it goes away soon, or I'll have to go to the quack.

however, I don't need this seat for a week or so at least - not supposed to pick up unauthorised sprogs, and they've yet to request transport from the council.

Reply to
Austin Shackles