Disco roof rack...

I'm looking for a Disco roof rack like this one (depending on price!) does anyone know where I can get one from? I've been looking but not come across one, so I haven't even been able to price one up.

I much prefer the look of these to the regular ones, which IMHO look a bit weird stuck high off the front part of the Disco roof, but I suspect when I do find one that it may be a bit too much to justify getting one!

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Safety Devices, I think:

Dougal

Thanks for that - that's the one, but still can't find anyone who sells it! The links on the Safety Devices website are bollocks - tho it isn't difficult to figure them out I admit, none of the reseller they suggest actually list it. I like the 'flat' once from Scorpion - tho they don't list prices, which suggests they are very expensive!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Safety Devices went through some 'trauma' about a year or so ago and I'm not sure that they're yet out of it. The web site doesn't seem to have been attended to for some time.

My recollection is that, whilst good, Safety Devices products are not cheap.

As you say, it doesn't take too much imagination to work out some functional URLs. But then you have the problem of negotiating some pretty unhelpful sites - Frogs Island being one example.

You could also try Nene Overland (some dead links for me there, too!)

Dougal

They are also uncontactable since the move to Poland (I seem to recall that's where they went). I got through once, was promised an updated price list, and have not been able to contact them since - to place orders!

Sadly I've had to pull their products off the site, which is a pity as their kit is/was good. I'm being over critical though, as anyone who runs their own business knows, things don't always (well, actually, very rearly) go to plan.

Indeed, but you pays your money....etc

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Matthew Hi,

I can provide you with the retail prices (excl. VAT) in the UK if you wish, since I am the representative and distributor of Scorpion Racing in Greece. The 2.2 m. Flat Rack windcheetah in black is priced at 507.51 pounds. The 2.2 m. Flat Rach slimline in black is priced at 624.91 pounds The 2.2 m. Expedition Rack in black is priced at 511.05 pounds.

The ladder in black is priced at 92.74 pounds.

If interested please let me know and I can possibly arrange for a discount.

As for the Safety Devices roofracks they are VERY heavy. I have TWO of those fitted on my ex-evented Camel Trophy Discovery vehicles. I have removed one of them (from the 1993 evented Marshal 1 vehicle) and the difference it made on the car's handling, noise levels and fuel consumption was PHENOMENAL. I would NOT recommend fitting one on a permanent basis as long as you do not use your vehicle for serious expeditions. They are VERY well made and extremely sturdy but their weight is not justifiable now that the slimmer and much lighter aluminum roofracks are available.

Take care Pantelis

Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos a écrit :

Thanks for that - very useful, particularly with info regarding weight issues. Price kind of confirms to me that I couldn't justify buying one new anyway. I've seen the ally ones, but again all the ones I have seen are flat rather than curved to the roof line - fine for a Defender, but personally I think it looks weird on the Disco with the front section stuck right up in the air.

A friend out here used to be a welder by trade so I might ask him how he feels putting something together for me in ally. Basically I want it to throw up a load of cases when picking people up from the airport - which involves all 7 seats being used, hence no room for luggage. Not a problem at the smaller airports because the car parks are easy enough to take the trailer into, but at the bigger airports the trailer is a non-starter.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Sat, 19 May 2007 16:42:20 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

ally welding need the right gear...

I was just speculating about building roofracks :-) but I lack the ally-welding gear. Mind, ally is expensive compared to steel. I'd have to look into what's needed, but given a decent structure it should be possible to build something not too heavy in thinnish steel section.

Anyone know if all discos have the mount points for the standard roof rails somewhere under the skin, even if they're not fitted? There'd be a good deal of merit in supporting the rack on those points in addition to gutter mounts.

Trouble is, you probably have to have all sorts of liability insurance and whatever. Mind, I have that for the cycle business, so it might be possible to extend it to other kinds of fabrication work.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As has been said, that's a Safety devices rack which was available in two types, low for behciles without sunroofs and roof bars and higher for those with. Sadly however, they had some problems and have now moved to Poland. Although they are now back in business they have not yet started manufacturing their roof racks, a shame as they are good albeit expensive. Got one on my G4.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

MIG and a cylinder of argon, or a HF TIG. Neither of which are outrageously expensive any more.

Reply to
EMB

Aldi have a 'flux coated, gas-less' 100 amp MiG for £100 this Thursday.

Machine Mart will sell you the special wire for welding ally for about a tenner a reel.

Reply to
William Black

You need at least a 180A MIG to start playing with ali.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 21:23:47 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I doubt my mig has a reliable enough wire feed.

I wasn't saying the equipment couldn't be got - simply that I don't have it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The right liner (teflon one) in the torch makes them feed much better.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 23:38:21 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I found that fancy teflon-lined bicycle gear cable outer made a good torch wossname. replacing the tip improved it quite a bit as well.

however, it's a cheap machine and probably underpowered for ally anyway, although my limited experience of welding ally was that it's quite easy to make the whole job melt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's what my friend said, it goes from doing nothing to disappearing into a molten mess instantaneously if you are not careful.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

It's a lot like that with TIG or gas welding ali, but MIG makes it easy. There's a few wee tricks to make it easier that I'll happily pass on to you if you want to have a go at it.

Reply to
EMB

Please do, I'm always willing to learn. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 21 May 2007 20:21:12 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

not sure. I had been wondering about aluminium tricycle conversions, for aluminium bike frames. Trouble is, "aluminium" can mean a variety of things and the techniques to achieve the correct strength vary from one to another.

Reply to
Austin Shackles