Vue roof rack question

I need to know if the Vue roof rack works with the kind of car top carrier that I have, a standard small Sears cargo box .

My old van had bars that went across the top of the vehicle and along the sides. I could nestle the box between the across bars and attach the straps to the side bars.

On the Vue there are no side bars so the box would have to be attached to the rain gutters and I don't think that's going to work.

I have seen boxes like this sitting on top of the across bars, but I don't think my box is designed for this kind of install.

I would much rather use one of the soft canvas car top carriers, but they all require attaching a few straps to the bars running along the sides. Again nothing to attach to. I also don't think there is any roof rack accessory from Saturn for this purpose.

My ideas are to either make some sort of attachment that screws into the threaded studs that used to install the cross bars or to make some sort of bars that attach under the factory bars. I would use either of these to attach the side straps to the Vue.

Does any of this make any sense?

Reply to
Cliff Hartle