Disco serpentine belt

anyone got any recommendations for a low- (or better yet no-) squeak belt?

The one that's on it (might be uniprat) is as squeaky as a squeaky thing in squeak season, that's being paid overtime to squeak more. Tried various different substances thereon, none of them stop the squeak.

It didn't squeak before, so I reckon the belt is suspect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

I used to use graphite powder (from a locksmiths) which worked well for maybe 1000 miles, but then started to change the belt every 20000 to a 'proper' Landrover genuine part and it hasn't ever squeaked since.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:29:20 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I tried graphite powder, with simialr results.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check the belt tensioner as mine was worn and did not line up and this caused the belt to squeak. Changed the tensioner and it has been quite since, even though I need to put a new belt on as one edge is frayed where it had jumped a groove. The new belt is in the back it's just getting around to it.

Tony,

Reply to
Tony Bartels

new belt cured mine Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:50:46 +0100, "Tony Bartels" enlightened us thusly:

the belt tensioner has been changed. Old one had knackered bearings, and made a noise...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is usually the belt tensioner that begins to wear allowing the belt to track out slightly allowing the groves in the belt to work like a record player and the teeth on the pulleys to work like a stylus.

1st quick cure is to sometimes turn the belt around so that it is running in the opposite direction 2nd cure is to change the tensioner. ERR4708

Visual inspection of the tensioner sometimes reveals the nylon ring between the two halves of the tensioner has began to split and allows the two halves to not be parallel

Regards

Brian Tonks Tonk4x4

Reply to
Brian Tonks

Have you tried stockings ?? 20 denier are best ;- ) If you need a spare..... try tights ;- )

Reply to
M4CKK