Disco Still Overheating

Ok so still having problems with my V8 Disco 3.9EFI. The symptoms are as follows. Seems to behave is you keep it at about 2.5k revs, all is good. If you put it underload it over heats. Or on long journeys it over heats. When it over heats, its squirts water out through the overflow tank. when it cools i check the levels and there seems to be almost no water in it (more loss than whats been squirted).

So far I have changed the thermostat, the water pump. I am doing a compression test tomorrow. But there is no signs of steam in the exhaust or water in the oil. Has anyone else had this ? Could it be a cracked block, or purhaps the heater matrix ?

Ideas people would be really appreicated.

Thanks,

Richy.

Reply to
Subscription

Hi

I had this with a 3.5 V8 - it was a head cylinder gasket gone on one side - never any steam either or mayonnaise in my oil.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Somethings blocked somewhere, maybe the radiator. Give it a good flush with a garden hose first off. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Tried the flush (forgot to mention sorry) seemed good as fast as it was going in it was coming out.

Reply to
Subscription

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Isn't there some clever chemical widget you can bob in?

I've never paid them much attention as pulling heads off is far more fun...not!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I found it great fun with the carbed V8 but the EFi?

Too many swear words

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Have you got aircon? If so, remove the radiator and see how much rubbish has accumalated between the 2 radiators. I removed half a forest from my

3.9 RR...dead leaves etc. I also found the cores on my radiator were rotten, so replaced it, and I've never had a problem since!

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

No hasn't got aircon, which is a pain, might retro fit it though if i am doing the heads as well. If it was the heads, would there be any benfit in getting some new uprated heads? Its LPG as well so here they can wear the heads ?

Also if it is a block has anyone bought a short block, would they recomend any one ?

Reply to
Subscription

Aircon not required for this problem - the comment about de-finned radiator tubes is very valid, however.

Reply to
Dougal

yep AIRC it cost me a £12 ratchet spanner to make the job much easier as sockets won't fit round the injector rails the halfrauds type slim ratchet went in like a slippery thing into a slippery space Derek

Reply to
Derek

Arse & buggrit. It's serious then. I can tell you from experience that the heater matrix failing will blow steam through the air vents and coolant under the drivers mat which drips to the ground. Yours sounds ( as others have said ) might well be the head gasket.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Frosts have some special liquid that changes colour in their catalog.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:51:38 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, I'm VERY skeptical about rad flushing.

Add up the cumulative area of all the little tubes, and compare with the bore of your garden hose... You need quite a high pressure differential to blow crud out of a blocked rad tube. I'd think that your garden house equates to about, oh, 30 rad tubes at most, in terms of bore. and that's not much of the rad - once that many are clear, you don't get any pressure build-up.

You need a much bigger water supply than any normal garden hose. even then, I suspect that the cumulative area of the rad tubes is bigger than the rad hose connections, so you just change the problem to a different one.

On the V8 110, I spent a good deal of time effort and swearing trying to get the rad to work properly and stop it overheating when it was either working hard or moving slowly, and NONE of it bloody worked. In the end I gave up and bought a new rad and it cured the problem instantly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles