Disco TD5 steering lock

Hi,

The steering lock on my 2000 Disco TD5 is becoming very hard ro disengage, any suggestions? I takes a lot of shaking the steering wheel side and side before I can turn the ignition key.

regards

nemo2

PS. I tried spraying it with WD40, but that seems to have made things worst.

Reply to
nemo2

...and nemo2 spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Ouch. Graphite powder only in steering locks.

After moving the wheel slightly to relieve the tension on the lock, the key should turn without any problem. The lock is probably worn and due for replacement.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You could try getting a new key cut - it sometimes does the trick.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard,

Spoke to the local dealer today, who said that they normally spray it with WD40!!! Tried just relieving the pressure and that appears to work, so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

Richard,

Tried the spare key (hardly used) and that didn't help!! I tried the other Richard's solution of just relieving the pressure on the steering wheel and that helps. As I can now unlock the steering I'll give it a try and see what happens. The dealer is saying that it may need a new barrell, which I suspect will mean that he need to do the job££££.

Thanks

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

...and nemo2 spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

That's because it's not their car, and they want to get rid of you! WD40 in a lock mechanism will gradually attract dust and dirt and will end up grinding the mechanism to bits. That's serious if you are driving in dusty conditions - in damp old GB it's not so much of an issue. Graphite powder lubricates but stays dry, that's all.

What I should have said is that with a lock *in good condition*, relieving the pressure of the wheel should allow it to work normally. If you take the weight off the wheel and it's still hard to turn the key, it is likely the lock is heading West. HTH.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

If you catch it early (before it's completely shot) a good locksmith will be able to rebuild it. Did this on my Disco when it jammed and got an extra year out of it before it completely died. If I'd done it sooner it would have lasted longer.

It's easy to remove (at least, it was on the 300 series Disco).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Did mine wi wd over a year ago, works just fine, stopped/started 30/40 times a day.

Reply to
tomtom