discovery advice

Hi all I am thinking of buying a 2002 td5 discovery it is a automatic,and i tow a caravan which weighs 1400 kg. can anyone offer any advice or thoughts they have as i am new to 4x4s. I was also considering a plug in module to enhance performance. thank you in anticipation graham

Reply to
graham

My tired old 300 TDi pulls 1300kg adequately. I know a number of people who pull more than that with auto TD5's quite happily.

A plug in module to enhance performance should only be a good thing IMHO. People here will, no doubt, tell you to make sure you inform your insurance company if you do do this however.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

graham vaguely muttered something like ...

We have a '96 300 Tdi, a model or two before the one you propose. We tow a caravan that all-up weighs about 850kgs .. however we do this with four people in the Disco and carry an extra 300 to 500 kilos of gear for our hobbies. The Discovery doesn't really notice the extra weight of towing, providing your within normal speed limits. Ours will tow the same kit at above 80 with ease .. it just uses a bit more juice. When 'normally' towing we seem to only lose a couple of mpg's, and the only thing that slows us down is other road users or heavy winds, hills are just shrugged off, though Hard Knotts and Wrynose was taken in low box .. ;)

We also regularly tow a horse box with two horses in it. On a run from Doncaster to near Cardiff with an empty horse box we could barely hit 60, and used shedloads of diesel. On the way back with two horses and five adults and all the riding gear we could go at whatever speed we wanted and got better mpg than normal solo driving. That day the winds were Southerlies ... ;)

I wouldn't buy any extras for it to start with, just see how you go. Allwe've done is kept it in good fettle, regularly serviced and looked after, especially after we've had a hard off-road session or finished a Trial.

Reply to
Paul - xxx