Discovery Leaking sunroof?

2000 TD5 Discovery: After any rain, the map holders above the sun visors and the headlining are soaked. I can't see any signs of water getting in, but it must be coming from somewhere. My local dealer thinks fitting a new sunroof at a cost of 500GBP will do the trick!

Is this a common problem and is there a cheaper way of dealing with it?

James

Reply to
James Steel

Ours does it only during heavy rain or when ice is thawing on the roof. In our case I have it down to partially blocked drains. You could try attaching some thin pipe such as fuel pipe to a vacume cleaner.. tape up the pipe to the hose then try and clear out any crud down towards the drains in the roof void. If you can find the actual drains then you can rod them with something like 30 amp wire. Another tip I picked up is to flush them with Mr muscle Oven cleaner as it unblocks the accumulated crud. Though I've yet to try that one!

My theory is once the drains reach their semi blocked capacity then the roof void fills and hep presto..soggy maps.

Is it just one side and does it do it if you park it the other way around (assuming it's parked on some incline).

Tell the dealer to get real!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Try the windscreen seal. Get a hose pipe and jet some water into the seal. Lots of Mastic behind the seal will fix it.

The other thing are the drain pipes get blocked on some types of sunroof.

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

We found the seal on ours was going green and had moss type stuff on it stopping it sealing. Cleaned it off and put a very light smear of vaseline on it and it stopped leaking. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Jame,

I will pop on e-mail the land Rover technical bulletins which may be of help. Yes leaking sunroof is very common but also fixable.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Andrew could you please cc me in on that too. lee at lrproject spot come less the e.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Try laminating the map sheets this will keep them dry at quite a considerable saving to yourself

Tony

Always a lateral thinker

Reply to
Tony

Well, of course the warranty will be covering this as it's obviously a failure of factory materials, isn't it?

P.

Reply to
Paul Brown

Its hard enough unfolding a normal map, unfolding one thats been laminated would be entertaining. ;0)

Lee D

------------------------------- Posted by PPCNewz - via my Mio

Landrover renovations.

Reply to
lee

The message from lee contains these words:

Ah, Try rolling it up, it works better!! d;-) Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

On or around 19 Jun 2005 20:08:03 GMT, lee enlightened us thusly:

would be entertaining. ;0)

Mind, I've got one of the peak district somewhere that folds. Not quite as flat as a normal paper one, it has to be said.

Reply to
Austin Shackles