Leaking sunroof

Hi,

2000 TD5 the front sunroof has leaked since I got the car, until I glued the drain back on to the sunroof about 18 months ago. Since then both sunroofs only leak after heavy rain. I do get a fair bit of wind noise from the sunroof and also a lot of gurgling after any rain.

Would changing the sunroof seals stop them leaking? Does anybody have an idea what they cost?

Thanks for any suggestions

nemo2

PS. I hope that nobody is too badly affected by the flooding. You have my sympathy if you are affected.

Reply to
me2

I've always smeared vaseline around the seal, and if that doesn't cure it use silicon sealer and forget about ever opening it.

(No schoolboy jokes, please!!!)

Barleycorn.

Reply to
Barleycorn

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Yes the sunroof seals can be changed and they are not too dear !!!

If you look at the sunroof from the outside the gap between the roof and the sunroof frame could do with re-sealing. You can do this quickly with sealant from the outside but a better job is to loosen the frame and seal it that way.

Reply to
Marc Draper

The external seal is only there to help stop water ingress to the tray below - or more accurately to restrict it. Even with no seal at all the tray drains should easily carry away any water which gets in it. So I'd guess one or more is blocked, or the hoses detached. At worse the tray itself may be perforated.

To clean the drains the best way is from where they exit. If you can arrange a supply of high volume slightly pressurized air - like from a decent industrial vacuum cleaner outlet - that should push any obstructions out. Pushing wire etc through has the chance of perforating the rubber hoses and often can't follow their tortuous route.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I concur wire is not the stuff to push down the drain on electric sunroofs however strimmer nylon line works beautifully will not make holes and of course you can use it for strimming after the job is done. Second step is soapy water once flowing encouraged by the jet from a hose nozzle to remove the accumulated silt and more usually bits of moss/lichen which fall off the seal and block the drain .( and come to think of it leafy material ) . For the normal tilt type sunroof I use spray silicon grease wiped round the seal and allowed settle in before removing the excess seems to keep me dry for a while. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hi,

Thanks everybody. I'm pretty sure that the drains are clear, excepting that I had to fix the frontbones back in place (magic putty) so they may bnot quite be a aligned!!

Using silicon sealent is not an option as being a land rover the air con has just packed up.

The issue seems to be that it's getting too much water pass the seal for the drain's to cope; accepting's Dave's comment about the drains coping with/without the seal. I think that i@ll try changing the seals and see what happens as that is the least expensive option; all things being relative.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
me2