Iffy Starter motor 2.25 petrol

Hi all, My Starter motor has started spinning without engaging every now and then especially when its warm.It works ok after a few more key turns. Has anyone had this problem? and is it easily rectified or am I looking at a new starter motor.

Thanks Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

It sounds like the Bendix unit is sticking (the gear that slides up and down the shaft). Depending on the exact type of starter, there may be a thin lightweight sping "inside" the big chunky one, these can break and cause a bit of gyp. Most likely though is that he shaft the gear slides up and down on has got dirty causing the gear to stick. Give it a good clean with carb or brake cleaner to get the gear moving freely. *Do not* be tempted to oil or grease it - more crud will stick to the lubricant and make it stick again.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, it's easily rectified... by fitting a new starter motor.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Just as richard says. Had the same problem in my old girl. Sliding thing was dirty & hence sticking as I am a mechanical buffoon got my mechanic to fix it. Only cost me about $20.

Regards

Jim Australia

Reply to
Jim Renard

Thanks Adrian Ford

Strip out the bendix gear, clean it spotlessly & lube with powdered graphite - do not use grease or any liquid that will collect dust & dirt.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher