Discovery Overheating

Hi I live in Australia and have a 95 Discovery. I was driving home today and it began to overheat, the outside temperature was 36 degrees celcius. The temperature guage went up to its maximum and I turned the engine off. I turned it back on to check the thermo fans were working and they were and the engine was running OK, I haven't driven it since then. The coolant was down low when I has let the engine cool. The vehicle has done 160,000km and is serviced regulary. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a common problem? Any ideas would be much appreciated

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mp

I forgot to mention its a diesel

mp wrote:

Reply to
mp

Reply to
Kieran McCoey

Hi Mark, suggest you check the coolant pathways and your thermostat, though it would be unusual to stay shut. Whatever you do, keep the coolant levels up as you don't want to overheat the head.

In the morning do you get any steam coming from the exhaust?

You may also want to check the water pump as on the 300 they aren't very big, and can cause problems if they have corroded, and the pump veins are damaged.

Also check the radiator for hot or cold areas as this may give a clue to any radiator problems.

Finally I would suggest you should get a cylinder head pressure check, just in case you have a warped or damaged head or gasket.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Hi Mark, I to have a 95 300 Tdi that overheated. Upon investigation it was discovered that a new head had been fitted by the previous owner. Unfortunately they had not cured the cause of the overheating fault. The problem is a cardboard gasket behind the water pump, a recognised design fault. Look for water staining in the area. Land rover now produce a tin gasket as a replacement. Cost about $1.75 and 2 hours labour

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for all your help, i'll give what you have said a go.

Mark

John Smith wrote:

Reply to
mp