Discovery price estimate - help please!

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a Land Rover Discovery, 2000 model, with very low mileage, less than 10,000 miles on the clock. I know its history, mileage is genuine and there is a good reason why its so low - the vehicle has not been on the road since early 2001.

The model is an XS, TD5 2.5L diesel, 7 seater, good internally and in only fair condition externally, has not been properly stored and the paint is a bit scratched etc.

My dilemma is this - I have a chance to buy this vehicle at a 'fair' price from the current owner. I want to pay a realistic figure and am not out to get a bargain at the expense of the seller. I am resident in Australia and would be exporting the vehicle there, so long as the price paid made sense compared with the local price - it will cost me about 2500 pounds to ship it and put it on the road here.

Questions are :

1) Anyone care to estimate what a fair price is for that vehicle? Any suggestions how best to find this out?

2) If the current owner sells at auction, what is the current going commission rate they would be charged by one of the major UK auction companies?

3) Any recommendations for a good vehicle shipping company? Preferably north west of england based but I guess I can get the vehicle transported anywhere in UK fairly easily. I thought about putting it in a container but I guess that will be more expensive than roll-on roll-off, anyone know?

4) If the vehicle has been off the road without being prepared properly for storage, what maintenance items should I specifically have checked out? I always reckon cars fare better if they're used regularly or is that just a myth?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Neil.

N composed the following ...

I'd look at Autotrader for what people are asking, at eBay for what people are paying, and visit an auction or two and a few Landrover salesrooms, main dealer and general sales, to see what's available and at what cost.

Dunno, but there seem to be loads after a cursory search on the interweb .. ;)

I'd want to change all fluids, including cooling, gearboxes, diffs, brake, power steering and clutch fluids and check that all pistons/valves/components on such systems work correctly. New seals might be in order too very quickly after re-starting working. I'd also want to change every fan-belt, drivebelt, whatever. I'd check all wheels and tyres for pressure and sidewall splits/degradation. I change the tyres on the caravan every five years whether they look worn or not, and I reckon it'd be an insurance policy to do so on a vehicle stood for more than a year or so. The battery might need replacing, and all electrical systems need checking thoroughly. If any wires, or the fuse boxes, have had condensation in them they may not now be operative.

Before running the engine I'd hand-crank it a few times to get some oil moving round it. At first 'real' start-up I'd let it run at just above idle for a good while before trying anything with it. Indeed, I'd make sure it runs on all cylinders at all before doing anything with it .. then I'd run it up and down slowly a few times in all gears, making good use of the brakes to clear surface rust and crap from the discs. I'd make a point of having new pads ready to replace the ones that had been stood, there is a chance they could get badly contaminated if there's a lot of rust on the discs.

When everything is thoroughly warm only then would I start trying any diff-locks, low boxes, transfer boxes, traction controls etc etc. Every so often whilst it's running for the first few days I'd also check underneath for any oil leaks or fluid leaks that the new movements might cause.

I'd agree with that, and would rather buy a vehicle that has been used regularly, against one that's been stood. Certainly one that's been stood longer than a couple of years anyway ... ;) If it's been stood as long as you say it ought to be pretty cheap, and might possibly need more doing to it than is immediately apparent.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Between £10,300 to £12,700 depending on condition i.e. poor to good.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

If you don't go for it, I'm on the lookout for one after rolling mine just before Xmas.

cheers Mark

Reply to
xxx

That's great Paul, thanks for the assistance.

Neil.

transported

N composed the following ...

No worries.

Let us know what you do and how you get on with it .. It might be a good project, 'how to restore a new, but been stood for three years' Landrover .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A bit unusual for sure - if I was in UK and able to have a good look over it myself I would feel a lot better about spending the $$ to ship, I reckon that it will cost me about 2000 pounds for the shipping, and if I don't get dinged for import duty and tax I should be ahead - so long as it turns out not to be a lemon.....

Otherwise I'd be better off spending my money here - according to local press ads I can pick up a 2000 Discovery for around 14,000 pounds equiv so I need to get it here and save enough to pay for the 2K shipping and about 500 pounds locally for registration and compliance testing costs. Mind you the local one would have about 100,000 kms on it, not 10,000 miles.

Flip the coin time.....

N composed the following ...

Whereabouts in UK is it? If it's anywhere near Doncaster, Sheffield, Leeds area I'd have a "Lawyer speak, without prejudice, warranty or guarantees of any kind" look at it .. and I'd guess there'd be many folks prepared to also have a look for you if it's elesewhere, and at least give you the benefit of a second, unbiased, set of eyes .. ;)

Having looked at prices around here and online etc, I'd suggest that this seems about £8k to £12k area, so might just be a bargain ...

Heheheh, your choice .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx