A dumb question about forward controls....

Is a forward control vehicle called a forward control vehicle because its military purpose is to be 'up forward' where the fighting action is, or is it just because the drivers controls are further forward than a conventional

4wd?

Dumb question I know but I've had it explained to me both ways before now....

:o)

It's because you sit forward of the forward wheels. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Makes sense.....

Thanks!

Google found this... sounds right to me. Forward Control

A configuration in which more than half of the engine length is rearward of the foremost point of the windshield base and the steering wheel hub is in the forward quarter of the vehicle length.

Reply to
'T'

Yep - up forward as you surmise. LR referred to "ordinary" LRs as "Bonneted Control" for a while.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

That's a pretty precise definition -

Thanks!

In news:brvAd.174$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net, Lee_D blithered:

IE right up the sharp end when contact occurs :-P

Reply to
GbH

With a steering column 4 inches from your nuts....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

As oposed to 'bonnet controle'... wich all other landrovers are! Toby

Reply to
TVS