Does it do what is says on the tin

I am picking up a V8 disco lpg next week and have found this on eBay (where else?) do you think its worth the £40 or could it do more harm than good?

Cheers.

Reply to
StaffBull

If I put the link in it would be better! Doh!

StaffBull

Looks like another snake oil product.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

It's almost certainly a total waste of money - and is likely to make matters worse rather than better.

Read this

Simon Atkinson

Reply to
StaffBull

found what on eBay ?

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
StaffBull

StaffBull vaguely muttered something like ...

No, no good at all.

In certain circumstances, like flat-out racing, _some_ additives give a power boost, but do nothing for slower-revving engines and do even worse for longevity.

Better to give it a full service .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Full service it is then, is there anything else I should do/look for?, I will be replacing the coolant straight away -is there a flush I could use to clean the waterways or just drain and refill

StaffBull

On or around Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:59:06 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

If the engine's in decent shape it's not necessary, and if the engine's shagged no amount of cunning additives will repair it.

IMHO.

Decent quality oil of the right grade and a suitable test-spec (API rating or equivalent) and regular oil and filter changes...

...says he, just done the 96000 change at about 99100. Mind, the previous 2 were late as well, 'cos I bought it with about 86K on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

are the magnetic filter jackets worth investing in?

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:03:17 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

If the guy's looked after it as well as he claims, then that may not be necessary, unless it's due a service anyway.

one point: you MUST have antifreeze in an LPG-fuelled one all the time. I run 25% mix in mine, i.e. 1:3 antifreeze:water. The vapouriser has coolant running through it to stop it freezing, and in cold weather (but above freezing it can freeze the vapouriser before the engine makes enough heat to keep it unfrozen, using plain water. Most of the antifreezes now have corrosion inhibitors, anyway, so a good idea to keep them in the system all year.

If the coolant looks nice and clean, I'd leave it for now - antifreeze is bloody expensive at the moment, just paid about 40 quid for a 20l drum, seeing as all ours bloody leak.

Obviously, though, in an emergency, plain water is infinitely preferable to no coolant :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:37:16 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

no idea. what is it, a thing to go on the filter and trap magnetic particles?

Problem with that is that not all the particles you'd want to trap are magnetic. I can't see it does any harm, but it may not do much good either. The sump plug on the V8 isn't magnetic IIRC. magnets are commonly in the bottom of things, though; I'd be more inclined to a nice strong little magnet low down on the sump somewhere, meself, if I wanted to add an iron-trap. Generally, by the time the engine has enough iron bits floating around to do much harm, it's a bad sign anyway, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

In a real emergency, pissing in the rad is better than nothing .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

There used to be sump plug magnets you could buy, cylindrical in shape that fitted in a hole you bored/drilled in the sump plug and which were supposed to trap all the 'sparkly bits' .. I never used them mind .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Sump plugs with magnets on are fairly standrad fare. My landy has one in the engine, and saab gearboxes come with them (Though IMO, my saab gearbox started going downhill much quicker after i started changing the oil more often to get the lumpy bits out! :) )

Reply to
Tom Woods

Or just buy a magnetic sump plug

(groan...)

Magnetic Sump Plug 2¼P/2.5P/2.5D/TD 3.17 inc VAT here

(and pun)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

lovely, I'll have one of them ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:36:51 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

true.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can recommend them :).

While you are at it, get a new washer too - saves scratting around the garage for a new one, or trying to make the old one seal properly again.

Reply to
Tom Woods