Door Hinges. 1986. 90.

Got a dropped drivers door due to worn hinge pins. Just replaced the rusty bolts with new thinking it was just adjustment needed!
Can I get replacement pins for the door hinges or is it easier in the long run to get new hinges complete? How difficult is it to drift out the old pins?
-- Regards Bob Hobden 1986 90 Utility 2.5 petrol
On 03/03/2013 17:59, Bob Hobden wrote:

Get new hinges. But possibly modify them before fitting.
Pins not available - at least from LR. You'll likely find that it's not just the pin that's worn.
Relatively easy to drift out, but on the bench not still attached to the pillar. They only go one way - drift towards the splined end. In extremis add heat!
Several possible other solutions if the central bore is not too worn: including http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic9388&hl=&fromsearch=1
The greasing arrangement lets this down. On the early RRC which has a similar hinge design I didn't bother with a grease nipple just used a radial oil hole and the standard splined pin.
"Dougal" wrote..

Considering that new Britpart hinges are only £5.95 +VAT they are probably the most cost effective and easiest route to take, just have to drill an oil hole and paint them.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
On 03/03/2013 22:46, Bob Hobden wrote:

Beware Britpart quality. I've heard it said that their new hinges are not much less sloppy than worn ones! If you can try before you pay, fine but otherwise ....
Paint them? - that's luxury.
"Dougal" wrote ...

The Britpart hinges from Paddocks are £5-95 + VAT each, original LR parts are £33.62 + VAT each. So the genuine part would have to last 5 times as long.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Britpart = cheap. Cost effective ?????
--
bert

"bert" wrote

My thinking is the 90 isn't used that much, couple of times a week for only a few miles so does it warrant paying LR prices. Not that I have a tame LR parts dept locally any more ready and willing to delve into the ancient parts books.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.