Drooping with age

Oracles,

1996 Disco 300tdi

Rear door dropped (worn hinge pins and worn and slightly splayed collars). Previous someone had packed the pins with some kind of shim. This wore out and eventually fell out, leaving a seriously dropped door. Good weather and having finally found the circular tuit, the omens suggested that it should be rectified.

I have Rave, but only for a Disco II. It suggests (Door - tail, para

76.28.19.99, Refit) that the hinge bolts (19) are on "slots" allowing adjustment (as I would expect from previous experience of other vehicles). Before I bite the bullet and slacken these bolts to make an adjustment, does anyone know if my suspicions are correct and the adjustment can be made at the hinge bolts on a 300tdi?

If this is the case, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why the hinge pins were packed with a shim? (no shim is shown in Rave). Having tried in vain for an hour or so to lift the door on the hinge pins to "move the gap to the bottom", he must have been some kind of superhero to fit the shims without knackering the door. If all you have to do is adjust the hinge bolts, why did they go to the trouble of lifting the door on the pins?!

For info, the hinge bolts are still resplendent in their original paint, and the hinges show absolutely no sign of having been adjusted (or having slipped) in the past.

Thank you for you attention and suggestions.

Best regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Having done this once before I can confirm that the hinge bolts are on slots. The door is pretty heavy so you will have to support it at the open end whilst you adjust the hinge positions.

Good luck it took me about an hour to get the door back to the point of being able to shut it properly after loosening the bolts ;-)

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Drop me an email, and I'll sort you out with some destructions for the Disco1 :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Thanks Steve and Alex - job done!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim

On or around Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:57:05 +0100, "Tim" enlightened us thusly:

BTW, if you want a copy of the disco I (95 on) RAVE, I have it here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles