Driver's door (LHD) does NOT open from inside on P38A (pantelis)

People Hi

your kind assistance will be extremely helpful as usual.

A good friend's Range Rover 4.6 (P38A, 1998 model year, LEFT HAND DRIVE) has developed a fault with the driver's door. The door can NOT open from inside the car. The latch moves but there is no resistance (eventhough the spring pulls it back into its proper "recessed" position) and the door does not open.

I can hear some tingling noises from the door lock button area.

The door opens without a problem (yet) from the outside and the door lock button moves OK with the proper resistance and opens/locks the door (and the central locking system)

Any ideas on what may be wrong with it would be very helpful into repairing it without the need to address the subject to the stealer.

Thanks again for your kind assistance and ideas Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Pretty well all locks have a link from the remote door handle to the lock itself. It might have simply fallen off - they're usually just clipped in place - or the lever part of the interior handle has broken off. Some types use a cable instead of a rod and the outer cable can jump out of its housing.

It should all be obvious if you take the trim off the door.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nicked this from the parts CD....

Looks like number 16 has fallen off :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Dave and Mark thanks.

I took a look on Microcat and on RAVE and found some information about who the system works.

We will have to remove the trim, as you already proposed and hopefully it will be just a case of the rod or cable jumping off the housing.

Mark what the version of your parts CD. Mine (MICROCAT November 2007) has a completely different image of the front door latch mechanism on Range Rover MY 1995- Run Out (as the refer to the P38A). Are you using the EPC?

Take care and thanks again for your input and assistance Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

mines really old....

I have to bodge my system clock to get it to even load :(

Does the job for my 96 defender though :)

Hope you get it sorted

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

People Hi,

Following Mark's and Dave's recommendation and a thorough look on RAVE and Microcat I was able to trace the problem but not sort it out.

The cable connecting the interior latch to the door lock mechanism has been cut on the door lock's side where it attaches onto an S shaped piece of metal. I tried to fix it temporarily with a round crimp (the thing we use for earthing electric wires on vehicles) but it could not take the torque of the levering action of the latch.

So I abandoned any further efforts and we will have to buy the proper cable as a new spare part.

The procedure for undoing the door trim, speakers and undoing (but not removing completely) the door lock is extremely easy. In fact it is even easier than on Discovery 1 and Defender vehicles.

Another problem traced and hopefully solved when the spare part will be fitted because of the newsgroup and those willing to assist.

Thank you all once more for your kind input and assistance.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

If you struggle to get one in Greece, I can get one & post it to you if you need it?

Reply to
Nige

Nige thanks,

I will let you know in case there is a problem.

The funny thing is that now the door does not open from the outside also.

The piece of wire I used to connect the crimp to the unlocking lever got stuck and the outside handle does not push it. But the good thing is that if you lower the window it provide free access from in between and I will push the lever with a metal rod tomorrow in the morning.

Thanks again for your kind offer. In case it is needed I will contact you directly.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Before you get over technical wash the lock out with WD40 or similar while operating the lock vigorously- when grit and general muck gets in the mechanism it can stick in the grease and prevents the lock moving freely.On my disco that was enough to prevent the C/L working and eventually the button was sticking as well a good wash thru cleared it up wash through the striker plate end and where the actuating levers enter the lock body. its a cheap answer even if it doesn't help. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek Hi,

The internal bits of Range Rover P38A vehicles are EXTREMELY WELL protected from dust and muck. It is amazing who much better desighed, assembled and protected from the elements this car is when compared to a Discovery of similar age.

And to make things worse for us Discovery owners it is also more easy to disassemble and re-assemble.

As for the problem with the exterior handle it is only due to the fact that I managed to undo the clip from the handle to the lock.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos